Friend wants to TRADE CHICKENS FOR ROO

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MareeZoCool, May 15, 2011.

1. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend offered to give me a Jersey Giant hen. Now, she has offered to trade me two hens & a rooster for my OEG rooster(she originally raised him, then gave to me.)
    I have fallen in rooster love! I don't want to let him go. BUT I realize she raised him first, and helped develope his fine personality.

My hubby prefers that we keep our rooster. He wants to just buy a hen from the breeder in the next county.

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Does she want to use him for breeding? You can do that artifically.

3. MareeZoCool

Yes, I think that is her plan. We have a mutual friend talking between us, so I don't really know all the details. I'll give this lady a call later today.

4. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    That's actually sort of rude of the "friend" .. she gave it away. done deal. Now if you have been saying in conversations you would give it back that is something else but your post does not imply that would be the case... She has more than one resource to buy a new chick and raise it up. Now if you have purebred or a nice hen she likes then give her eggs to hatch from her original rooster to raise.

5. MareeZoCool

No. I have NEVER said anything that could even be mistaken about letting go of this roo. He is SO COOL! he knows his name, and the name of each hen. He treats each hen with a special bite of food before he has any food himself.

6. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Quote:I like the idea of offering her some fertile eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by