Friendlier Chickens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HorseMadWhovian, Dec 13, 2013.

1. HorseMadWhovian

HorseMadWhovian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    Hi,
    I have seven chickens and six un hatched ducklings and I'm just wondering what the best way to tame them is, I'm quite busy with school but am open to any tips and ideas,
    Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The best way to tame chickens and ducklings and keep them tame is to spent as much time as you can spare with them and give them treats, of course, when they are old enough (ducklings). Ducklings do this wonderful thing call "imprinting", they seem to fall in love with the first thing they see when they hatch and they'll just want to be with you and love you all the time. The way to a chicken's heart I found, goes via it's crop. Give them nice treats and encourage them to eat from your hands. You'll win them over quickly [​IMG] Good luck with the duckling hatch and enjoy!

3. HorseMadWhovian

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    Thank you,
    I plan on spending the whole of the day the ducklings hatch (today :D) next to the incubator, they've started pecking and chirping :D
    We used to have bantams that if i sat down would jump up and sit next to me [​IMG]
    Thanks again

4. Bitterroot

Bitterroot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Montana
    Best way I've found to make my chickens friendlier is to feed them daily. I noticed that when I kept their feeder filled, they ran from me when I went into the pen. When I bring their food out with me daily, I can barely keep them off me. Even once they've eaten, they'll still stick around and mill about around my feet. Of course, now I'm tripping over chickens. [​IMG]

Treats too. My girls know the rustle of the mealworm bag and come running.

5. HorseMadWhovian

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    Mine have a permanent supply of grain and I feed them scraps daily, they come running then [​IMG][​IMG]

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have some I hatched and some I bought- for me if the broodies raise them they are not as friendly.

7. HorseMadWhovian

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    That has also happened with my chicks I have, the mother raised them and they are not at all social[​IMG]

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I just give away the skiddish birds- no sense keeping them plus they may everyone nervous.

9. HorseMadWhovian

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    Ok, mine aren't to bad and they're all good layers so we're going to keep them

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    mine were still pullets but I had duplicates, and chicks hatching, and and and...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by