Friendliest and best layer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Susie"J", Sep 23, 2010.

1. Susie"J"

Susie"J" Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Green Bay area
    We would love to add in spring and we are looking for friendly layers. What's your thoughts?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have had Orphingtons (both buff and white), RIR, Black Australops, Golden Comets, Americaunas, EE's, and Barred Rocks. Out of all of them I would have to say that the Orphingtons have acted the calmest and quietest. Unless you want to count little Silkies and then they win but they are not in the "layers" category.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Mine are getting friendlier now that all the big gang of roosters are gone. I have RIR or Production Red...and one really sweet partridge looking hen and the sweetest ever cochin that everyone (almost) thought was a roo....still holding out and think she is a hen. Cochin's seem to really be sweet.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Black Star hen, Salmon Faverolle, Barred Rock.(although I have had some she devils also in that breed)
    Black Copper Marans... talk about laid back! Delawares.

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our friendliest best layers are our Black Sex-Links.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Delawares. Super friendly even as chicks. Fairly quiet, lay a good size egg. Do get them from a breeder if you can.

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    my EE hens are super friendly, and very staedy layers (5-6 eggs a week steady) one of my dominics is also a real good layer, the other not bad, just not super. I got lucky with my EE's, not all are such good layers

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Our friendliest, speckled sussex, orpingtons of every color (buff, blue/black/splash and lavendar), Delawares, Barred rocks and our heritage RIR and our Easter eggers.

I think a great deal has to do with interaction with them but there is a true friendliness factor wtih those I listed above - for us anyway! Hope this helps! Nancy

9. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Buff Orpington. Ours is a giant ball of fluff. Very sweet and lays 5 eggs a week year round. Our EE is a close runner up. She is full of personality. Almost dog like. She's a 3 a week or so layer. Maybe a bit more.

10. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    My ee's are prolific and in their younger years, would fly up to my shoulder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by