Friendliest breed (is there ??) and grouping

Jersey Girl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 31, 2012
I have a single African female that I'd like to get companions for. I had 2 handraised (not by me) Toulouse ganders previously and they were pretty awful. Have an Air BnB business so had to rescue guests more than once...Hard to find any geese locally so am thinking of ordering from hatchery. Minimum 3, maybe 2 females and a gander, so that would be a flock of 3 with one gander, would that be best? So hesitant to get ganders again, tell me stories of friendly ganders or any other advice!

Well...
For most of the year, my Cotton Patch gander is a joy to have around, right now though he's a real pain. He's taking his job of flock and nest protector very seriously!

Unless you want to breed, there's no need for a gander. They definitely add entertainment value to the flock, but having regular guests during mating season could be a real problem. Females are much calmer and relaxed!

The most passive I’ve had is Delphi my classic Roman. I got her from Metzer with my female buff Apricot.
I’ve had two female buffs total, they’re said to be a calm breed, I’ve found that they can be a little panicky.
I can’t speak for the whole breed of classic romans, I only have Delphi, so it could just be her individual personality, but she’s definitely mellow.
Today she’s decided to guard her nest. I walked past and she emerged cackling at me and gave me the most gentle poke as way of saying “keep away from my eggies!” That’s the most intense I’ve seen her. 😂

Back
Top Bottom