friendliest breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickhick, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    What is the friendliest chicken that is a large fowl and "normal-chicken-looking?" (No feathered legs or muffs or crests.) And by friendly I mean that they will come right up to you and let you pet them. Sussex are super friendly and curious, and I'm wondering if there are others that have them beat for this trait. I've heard that Plymouth Rocks are friendly. Anybody have both and can enlighten me? I'd love to hear what other breeds are like this.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Friendly, like this? Delawares are the sweetest things ever. They not only let you pet them, they demand it! They are like puppies. However, I have heard others have experienced aggression from hatchery stock. Friendly and curious from breeder stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Mediterranian breeds tend to be flighty and have a reputation for not warming up to humans. Your mid/heavy breed loose feathered birds are going to be your best bet for being pets, but what it eventually comes down to is working with your birds and getting them used to you [​IMG] I've heard good things about sussex, some wyandottes, australorps, standard cochins and brahmas (though they have feathered legs) orpingtons, rocks, and jersey giants. Other factors that are going to play a role in their behavior is their genetics and where they came/are coming from. Think of them like dogs, if you get them as puppies you'll naturally be the person they will bond to as they grow older. But if you recieve them as adults, they may have already bonded to someone and it could take a while to gain their trust.
    Hope this helped [​IMG]

4. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have black australorps. They are very friendly and docile. Not flighty or skittish from my experience. Even my rooster is good. He is good to the ladies, and also protective but not human aggressive. The only time he seems to get in a tiff if I come in the run is when the girls go in to lay their eggs. Then he just guards the pop door, but doesnt chase or try to spur me like the last rooster I had ( a red sex link)

I did lots of research before choosing a breed. I needed good layers with good temperament that could handle hot summers and cold winters and also occasionally go broody and be good mommas. Also wanted A breed that was able to free range AND tolerate confinement too. Australorps made the grade over and over. I researched BYC and other online resources and spoke to some hatchery staff and a few local people including some Amish ppl and a couple farmers and neighbors. Aussies are great. Usually if it sounds too good to be true, it IS. but so far everything I've heard about them is true. I am very happy with them.

When I had the RSLs especially the roo, I NEVER went to the coop unarmed (with the broom) But now I just walk right in and give treats they will eat from myhand. I can pick any one of them up and they dont even fuss. As I say, Aussies are wonderful birds.

Heres a "breed selector tool" link from my pet chicken. It helped me when I was looking for specifics and trying to find the best breed for our backyard.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx

5. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Quote:OK, now there's a pet chicken. Love it! Yes, hatchery stock seem to be more aggressive or timid and breeder stock seem to be more human oriented.

6. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Quote:LOL! [​IMG] That is awesome! I just hatched out some eggs from Whitmore Farms, and there is a single Deleware in my little batch. How long before I'll know pullet or roo?

7. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    The sweetest chicken I ever had was a wyandotte! She was the best, but I think it was because I handled her so much! Now I have 5 dominiques that all come running when I go out to their area, and if I sit down they're all over me demanding to be pet! But the rest hate me... I'm working on it though!

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Sweetest was my Speckled Sussex. She's even in my senior pictures! [​IMG]

She passed on in my freshman year of college. Sweet girl.

9. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I just got a black jersey giant and she is pretty friendly and mellow. She is still a little leery because she was not handled by humans early on. She is very talkative and lets me pick her up with no fuss. I am working on petting her. I give her dried oatmeal in a small measuring cup. While she is eating I pet her. It's working pretty good. Probably in a month or so she will be a big baby. I wanted to see how she would do with my silkies....the little male silkie tried to peck her feathers out. He was mean to her. She is twice his size....I just don't get it.

10. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have a RIR that is super friendly and sweet. She leaves the flock to hang out with us on the porch. We have to keep her from coming in the house with us and she even tries to get in the car with us. I say she but I just posted pictures of her because I think she might end up being a he. I know I've heard and read that RIR can be a little aggressive but this has been the sweetest thing since we brought her home from TSC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by