Friendliest chicken breed thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bigwig, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    What is the most docile and friendly chicken breed you own?

2. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    I was lucky enough to find a poultry seller close by and able to pick out laying hens of all breeds, so I experimented with them all and found for my smaller yard, kids and other pets that bantam cochins, buff orpingtons and barred rocks were some off the sweetest birds ive ever had the luck of owning. If you are a animal lover and treat them like good friends then they will love you, also mealworms will get them following you around...

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The most docile and friendliest breeds I currently own are Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. My Black Sex Links are very friendly as well, although not quite as docile as the other two. Other very friendly and docile breeds I have had over the years are Silkies, Cochins, Brahmas, and Sussex.

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My rhode island red is very nice. She follows me around begging for food. My most skittish are the polish probably.

5. psucarrierae

psucarrierae New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    Oregon
    That is so funny. Although Silkies are fluffy (and thus I handled them a bunch), none of my Silkies seemed to actually enjoy attention. I would say that Orpingtons are so great with people - and kids. But my Polish was truly a lap chicken. She just loved to sit up on my shoulder while I gardened, letting out the occasional remark. (Berk da derrrrk!) Even though she wasn't a dependable layer, she was so worth it in personality. I have a brand new baby chicks - Cuckoo Maran and a Light Brahma. I've heard that both can be very docile and lovely. My last cuckoo was not a human fan, so I have high hope for these two little lovelies! Pictured is the Cuckoo. So sleepy![​IMG]

6. Bigwig

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    How well do Buff Orpingtons lay?

7. wayne oliver

wayne oliver New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    buffs can lay up to 340 eggs per year compared to the smaller breeds laying about 220

8. Bigwig

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    How well do they do in confinement?

9. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Red Sex Links

Facts:

Egg Machines
    I didn't even try to socalize mine, they come running when they see me
    Don't Know how well they do in confinement-sorry, mine have acess to a run and do fine.
    Day Old Chicks are easily sexed, girls are darker, boys are lighter. Girls are dark when full grown and boys are mainly white.

10. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Oh, and my Buff Orpingtons where handled as chicks-rooster attacked me and hens ran.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by