Friendliest domestic fowl

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BrandonM, Aug 12, 2013.

1. BrandonM

BrandonM Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    I am looking for with out a doubt the friendliest, tamiest fowl. It does not just have to be chickens.

2. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    We have a family member who has a turkey names Tom, he is the nicest thing in the world. He follows you where ever you go. He poofs up and shows off. He even wants to sit on your lap, he can't though, he's too big. My salmon faverolle hens are very sweet too. They would never hurt a fly. I put day old chicks out with them and they accepted them with the flock, the hens took them as their mama even. The swarm my feet and all pile on my lap and keep the garden free of bugs ad weeds. I think if you spend enough time with an animal that they will be very nice and tame. Look at dogs, the ones who are very well taken care of, they are always there for you and love you. But if its a dog who gets little attention it will like you but won't have a connection with you. I think it's the same with birds of any kind, the more time spent with them, the more tame and friendly they will be.

3. Elemental

Elemental Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    Tehachapi
    [​IMG]
    I guess a little luck is involved. My shy little Light Brahma is now (much bigger and) the motherly hen that can stop fights and protect the underdogs. Yes she still loves to be held when I enter the coop or run. But will instantly want to protect her younger friends if trouble arises.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    We love our faverolles, we wanted a quiet friendly breed and they have been exactly that.

5. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    our delaware is by far the friendliest breed I've had yet... and she talks to you and likes human company

6. BrandonM

BrandonM Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    What about barred rocks?

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have a little flock of Silkies, and they are super sweet little chickens.
    My all time favorite birds, however, were 2 turkey hens I used to have. They would fly across the yard when we whistled, cuddle up next to us if we sat down in the grass, one would even dance for us. They were fabulous girls!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  8. farmgirl277

farmgirl277 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    We hand raise all of our chickens so that they imprint on us and that seems to make them friendly. I love our barred rocks. They sit on my lap and follow me around :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Elemental

Elemental Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    Tehachapi
    I got lucky with a Barred Rock rooster that was given to me. He has turned out to be a true gentleman to his hens. Plus he is calm around us but he does watch us like a hawk. If any of his ladies squawks he immediately comes running with a look of "what's wrong? Are you ok?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by