Friendliest Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by theron, Dec 23, 2009.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    What breed of duck is the friendliest?

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i hope someone says khaki campell, fawn and white runners or black swedish
    as we are getting ducklings nexy week

3. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I have quite a few different kinds of ducks and would have to say my call ducks and muscovies are the friendliest. Most ducks would like to stay well away from you but the calls and muscovies like to be right under my feet. I would think any breed would tame down if they are handled regularly.

4. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My runners are pretty friendly. They are a little skittish at first, but when I pick them up they cuddle and like to be petted.

5. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    My three call girls are super friendly. Every time I open the back door they come shooting in. Plus sometimes they're so clingy they're constantly underfoot. Runners look cute too though.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It can really depend on how many you raise at one time. The smaller the number in the brooder, the more people focused they seem to be.

My Campbells were not exactly friendly, but I got them as adults. A runner I got at the same time still acts like I am going to kill her every time I get near here. I wouldn't blame the breed though. I think Chrissy just has issues [​IMG]

I had a buff that was flock raised but warmed up to people pretty quick once I got her. The only problem is she was REALLY LOUD and a bit bossy and obnoxious. I have heard this is pretty typical buff behavior. Her daughter (from a khaki dad) was a brat, but very friendly.

I rouen I raised was a bit stand-off-ish, but others have reported getting very friendly rouens.

The friendliest birds I have had so far are my Welsh Harlequins. I raised 3 I got as day-olds and they eat from my hand, run up to me and love to "chat". None like being picked up though. I later got 2 flock raised Welsh Harlequins. It took a couple of weeks but now they are just as friendly as the ones I raised myself. They also eat from my hand and run up to me whenever I am in the yard.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

our Pekin is the friendliest of all (swedes, KC's mallards)... She likes people, the other ducks are always convinced I am going to eat them or something...

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I got two 5 week old muscovy ducklings (Charlotte and Chester) and raised them to adults. They are both funny, full of personality, and very intelligent. It wasn't til they were adults when they stopped sleeping on my lap lol. They both still follow me and I put them in the ride-on lawn mower trailer and drive them down to the dam so they can have a swim. I pick up my drake and cuddle him, push him around, and kiss him, he's never objected to anything and never ever pecked me.
    When they were at my house in their growing up days they managed to get my labrador to share her food with them (not willingly lol) and they slept at my back door every night or with the dog.
    If you are thinking about getting a duck I'd definitely consider a muscovy! good luck with you choice! [​IMG]

9. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Any duck that's raised to imprint is going to be friendly. That said, getting a mellower breed can't hurt. I really do need to dabble in muscovies one of these years.

10. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    It just depends. A lot is simply the individual bird, some just seem naturally friendlier than others. It also depends somewhat on how they are raised and how many are raised together. In general though, my Mini Appleyards are my friendliest ducks. They always seem to be the most outgoing in my flock even as ducklings.

As far as the other breeds, in general- my Anconas were friendly, my Dutch Hookbill was very calm and friendly (only had one though)....other breeds that have been pretty calm in my experience have been Swedish and Australian Spotteds. A lot really does depend on the individual birds though. Runners are generally known for being skittish, but I have some that are extremely friendly as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by