Friendliest Never Go Broody Hen?

kie4

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Malvern, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

I'm getting tired of breaking broody hens and it really throws a gap in a hen's production. We have no plan to hatch fertilized eggs and don't have a rooster.

What are the least broody, but at the same time friendly chicken breeds?

Our New Hampshire Red is very friendly and has not gone broody yet.

In my experience sex links of either color are generally high production/low broody birds. The problem is they tend to burn out and develop reproductive tract problems after 2.5 years or so.

Hello,

Good question. Each breed is unpredictable, BA hens are "supposed" to be the broody breed/sweet... I happened to have two BA roosters that were nasty, and only one broody hen. So in my opinion... The best you can do is take a guess.

My New Hampshire's are the very sweetheart kind of hens. But never once broody... Before I jump to conclusions, I am not sure my one isn't broody. She's half. :/

Then again, my Speckled Sussex can be rude as all get out! And never once went broody (I had four, have three now). But I personally don't suggest them either.

G-L-W hens are a bit "Rough and Tumble", but never go broody. I would suggest the over Speckled hens.

If you want a non-broody breed... Don't get SF or BO! They are broody 24-7!!

Brahma, my favorite breed. Very sweet and soft, very special to me. Never went broody. Sadly, I want them to go broody, but haven't yet.

Wish you luck on your journey, God bless.

Regards,
-The Angry Hen

Hello,

Good question. Each breed is unpredictable, BA hens are "supposed" to be the broody breed/sweet... I happened to have two BA roosters that were nasty, and only one broody hen. So in my opinion... The best you can do is take a guess.

My New Hampshire's are the very sweetheart kind of hens. But never once broody... Before I jump to conclusions, I am not sure my one isn't broody. She's half. :/

Then again, my Speckled Sussex can be rude as all get out! And never once went broody (I had four, have three now). But I personally don't suggest them either.

G-L-W hens are a bit "Rough and Tumble", but never go broody. I would suggest the over Speckled hens.

If you want a non-broody breed... Don't get SF or BO! They are broody 24-7!!

Brahma, my favorite breed. Very sweet and soft, very special to me. Never went broody. Sadly, I want them to go broody, but haven't yet.

Wish you luck on your journey, God bless.

Regards,
-The Angry Hen

SF = Salmon Faverolle ??
I did not know that they are notoriously broody. Salmon Faverolle was on my wish list for 2018, but I'm not sure now.

In our flock we have 2 Orpingtons. Our Buff has gone broody twice this year and our Blue never in her life. Both a great layers and the most friendly.

SF = Salmon Faverolle ??
I did not know that they are notoriously broody. Salmon Faverolle was on my wish list for 2018, but I'm not sure now.

In our flock we have 2 Orpingtons. Our Buff has gone broody twice this year and our Blue never in her life. Both a great layers and the most friendly.

Hi,

Yes, sorry for not making that clear!

Oh don't get me wrong, they are very sweet... Honestly my third favorite breed. (I got a lot of favorites). But they are uncontrollably broody. So I would strongly suggest them, but maybe not for someone who wants a non-broody breed.

Yes, Buff Orpington's are on my list of favorites. Very sweet and intelligent. But strong when it comes to protecting and going into brood. So maybe not your breed.

I would go with Brahma's. And if they seem to large, possibly bantam Brahma's. :)

-The Angry Hen

I know Ameraucanas are not supposed to be broody but mine was the broodiest hen I've owned. frequently broody and mean when she was. Very sweet otherwise though. My Barred Rock and Buff Orpington never have been broody and both very sweet. Polish Crested are sweet one goes broody and one hasn't.

Back
Top Bottom