Friendliest of the bunch! Will it stay that way?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NJbirdlover, May 2, 2009.

1. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    My BO's are living up to their reputation...very sweet! I have 2 pullets(hopefully) and when we put our hands in the brooder they run right over to us.....to my suprise the 2nd friendliest would have to be our RIR's they are very curious and want to investigate my hand everytime.
    Our BR's have been a little nervous, SS's have been pretty good too, but our BA's are very skittish.

Are these current "chickenalities" a preview of what they will be like when they are full grown? They are 4 days old now.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Hard to say. If you keep gently handling them, as you are doing now, they may all grow up to be quite freindly.

3. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    My BO's have always been them most friendly, they are 3 months old now.

4. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

If the friendly chicks stay that way as they grow older and mature...then I am in big trouble! [​IMG]

When I go in and sit with my 4 week old chicks each day....all 25 of them [​IMG] ...they are constantly sitting on my shoulders and on my head...in my lap...
    ( It could be the worms they recieve each time I sit with them??) [​IMG]
    I noticed now when I hand feed them they can really pinch fingers so....when they are full grown ...and if they are this friendly as full grown ....I am in big trouble!! [​IMG]

5. xtremevermonter

xtremevermonter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    My two BOs are exactly the same. The are by far the most friendly and curious. I'm hoping they stay this way!

6. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:lol-I can see how that may be a problem!!

7. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    Don't let 'em pinch the fingies! Mine started doing that when they were only a few days old, and each time they pinched me I tapped them firmly on the beak. They all learned very quickly not to do it, it did NOT make them fear my hands in any way, and now nomatter what yummy treat I bring them they flock to my hands, but eat it without ever getting the skin [​IMG] Dont let them convince you they just have bad aim, it's a lie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by