Friendly brand new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamatink7, Apr 30, 2016.

1. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    How do you get them to jump into your hand or come to you-without treats? They are still to little for treats (hatched Wednesday). When I do anything in the box, they almost always run to the opposite corner. We can however set and watch. When we pick them up, they are fine.
    We have 2 buff Orpington, 3 easter eggers,6 black australorp, 1 black maran, 4 golden comets.

2. raisingdaisies

raisingdaisies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    we never give treats until they are several months old at least. Being around them, feeding them...they will get used to you. Most babies are a bit skittish at first. Usually they get used to us pretty quick, but with the kids they are around people a lot. Someone is always checking on them ;) We do put their crumble in our hands and let them eat sometimes.

3. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thank you. They do eat the crumbles in our hands or fingers. Today the one I got out happened to be the Maran and she run up and started pecking glasses when I made my sound I'm trying to train them with. Perhaps it's working?

4. raisingdaisies

raisingdaisies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Sounds like you are well on your way [​IMG]
    I talk and click to them, too...but that may be more than I should tell [​IMG]

5. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    hahaha don't worry I'll keep your secret, as long as it works;) thank you. My husband swears they already and automatically jump into your hands-of course I'm teaching him most as he doesn't know much yet.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Out of my 10 chicks by 6 days old , 8 of them were jumping in my lap, climbing on my arms and one even went through the motions of dust bathing in my lap. Out of these 8 unusually friendly chicks the breeds include 6 barred Rocks, 1 Silver Laced wyannadotte, and 1 Golden Buff. Now out of the two ultra shy and very frightened chicks the breeds include, 1 Silver Penciled Rock, and 1 barred rock. What I've came to learn is it very much depends on the individual personality of the chick itself. However don't worry too much about the shy frightened chicks because generally when they reach point of lay the become a lot friendlier. The shy ones may never be lap chickens but you will find if you continue to handle them as chicks despite their protests, when they are older, you will be able to easily handle them, check them over, pick them up without protest. They may never be cuddlers or lap birds but they won't be out of control either. When I got my chicks at a day old I have NEVER seen a more loving friendly bunch! I feel very blessed that all but two are cuddlers! It's just their personality. Not so much breed because I have a ultra shy Barred Rock as well. So in my opinion I would continue to handle the shy ones and wouldn't worry too much as they generally come around by point of lay. But some like cuddles some dont. They are very much individuals. Hope this helps.

7. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Thank you for your suggestions. I want to be able to check them over, see which ones are laying and not run off when I come to them. I think maybe just a stage. The buffs are most friendly.

8. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    They will get over being skittish. We have 6 buff orpingtons and 2 barred rocks. The buffs are very friendly! They love to be snuggled and held. Our barred rocks are friendly also but the buffs are the first to jump into laps [​IMG] I don't know how familiar you are with chickens but as they get older be careful about what treats you provide, especially with scraps from the kitchen. Some things are extremely toxic to chickens. You can find a detailed list online on Google search. Have fun with your little ones and keep talking to them! You will be best buddies before you know it!

9. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    oh yes! Many good things but also harmful things. Can dandelion be okay for them? There are many in the run area so I'd have to pull them before they go out. Thx, been wanting and researching them for years. I love these little fuzz balls.

10. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    Yes, dandelions are ok [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by