"friendly" breed for urban farm?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Raychul, May 13, 2011.

1. Raychul

Raychul New Egg

Dec 31, 2010
    I've been thinking about geese for a while now.

Maybe just goose.

I have a small urban farm. 4 runner ducks, 2 nigerian dwarves. I'd like to add a goose to the mix. Are goose eggs good to eat? Is there a small breed that may do okay with my current animals? Can geese be raised to be friendly?

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    geese are really noisy at times [​IMG]

3. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Goose eggs are wonderful to eat! They are alot like duck eggs. I would look at a goose egg a a triple egg omlette in one! [​IMG]
    Also, get 2 geese. They will me much happier. Thats what I have read in numerous threads and articles. just passing on the info.[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    T.

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have Roman Tufted. I like their size and I find them to be less agressive and less noisy than other breeds. I also like Buffs,Tufted Buffs and Sebbies for the very same reasons. I would not just have one. I would either have a true pair or keep two females. I think they do better if they have at least one friend of their own kind to spend time with. They are "wired" to live within a flock. Keep in mind a happy/content bird is a less noisy bird, too.

Joni

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    hmmmm... There's no really quiet breed of goose. Some are less noisy than others, but it's individual and often environmental. Cotton Patch & American Buff/Blue/Lav are good candidates since they're pretty calm/friendly. But mine are still noisier than I'd like [​IMG] You won't want one lonely goose wishing for a buddy... they're very social creatures. If you want a large waterfowl that's friendly and quiet I suggest Muscovy. Drakes are 15+lbs in some strains and they're very quiet because all they can do is an almost noiseless huff for the drakes and a quiet trill for the girls... sometimes a quiet squeak if their scared.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  6. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Apart from Chinese and African geese (those are LOUD), most geese are around the same noise level.
    I have two Toulouse geese with relatively close neighbors. I dont thnk the neighbors ever notice the geese, and if they do, they never say anything about it. The good thing about geese is their noise is less distinct than a roster for example. If you've got a crowing rooster everyone will recognize the sound, but not everyone will think "geese" when they hear honking.
    Toulouse, buff, pilgrims and Romans would all make good choices.

7. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I would recommend Roman tufted or toulouse. I would say between the two they are my quietest geese but I prefer the romans all around. I would say the roman tufted females are the friendliest of all my geese.

8. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    Pilgrims are supposed to be really quiet, I too wanted the quietest geese, I also considered american buff geese. I did get pilgrims-two males, and they are very quiet except when there are too many people in the back yard, or my husband approaches too quickly. They make this weird low peeping noise. They are almost 10 weeks now, I have heard them make a shrill honk/scream a few times, mostly when people they don't recognize are too close. I can get them to quiet down really fast too, I just stand by their yard and flap my arms, I must look really nuts, but it works...and I try to keep the noise to a minimum for my neighbors' sake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by