1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Friendly breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaDuck, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MommaDuck

MommaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    Indiana
    Right now we have two Pekins. Not 100% sure on the sex, my husband checked and they seem to be females. I would like to add one or two more ducks. I love the look of Cayugas and also Rouens. Should there be a certain male/female ratio?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I wouldn't have more then one male with that few ducks, depending on if you want to hatch, boys are quieter and my boys are more friendly.

Check your local laws here we cannot own 'mallard derived' ducks that are not mullard (mule ducks) or pekin (non flighted).

I'd hate some noisy neighbor to say something and you get into trouble.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So, what do you have then?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If I were adding two, it would be two girls or a girl and a boy.

I added two Buffs to my flock of nine Runners and it was very easy for them to get used to each other and become a flock. It took a little time, but it was easy.

I am told that drakes can make things . . . complicated. Some just seem to have testosterone poisoning. [​IMG]

5. FireTigeris

I have one runner and four white layers (they look like pekin and they are marked domestic bred - amputation of the fourth claw, also the paperwork from the hatchery) I was accidentally sent 2 drakes instead of the four duck-hens I ordered but this is being corrected.

I also ended up as the permanent home of a buff pair, khaki Campbell and a trio of Welsh Harlequin.

I have the ability to get the 'educators permit' as I have a tutoring business with the license and everything and the animals experience required (and the contacts in state).

I'm considering the wildlife permit also- but I designed my waterfowl flock with the law in mind, it just didn't work out that way. (all pekin looking ducks)

My neighbors are all awesome but I wouldn't want my flock to be confiscated or get FL Fish and Wildlife on my case. The non pekin looking ducks (WH and Khaki) are from the same hatchery so I can get the same paperwork that they are captive born and non-breeding with the wild population (in a fully inclosed pen).

(FL is worried about captive born crossbreeding with both wild mallards and the FL native black duck also they are worried about people dumping unwanted ducks and them becoming vectors for avian disease).

Due to the 4 drakes in 7 ducks, I'm having over breeding issues with the ducks, ragged feathers and bald spots on the duck(hens).

Of course it seems just to be Duval county that has this issue, I just want people to be aware of the laws- if you are going to 'cheat' know exactly what you are doing and what the consequence is.

I also have a completely closed pen, animal waste management program, and no animals 'at large' I also volunteered to participate in the NPIP that is free in Duval county, but they still are not here yet.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Since your subject indicated you were looking for friendly breeds:

I have Pekins, Welsh Harlequins, runners, mallards, and saxonies. The only ones that will come and eat out of my hand are the saxonies.... and they follow me all over the place, especially if I'm carrying something that looks like it may contain food! I raised all my ducks the same way, so I'm not sure why only the saxonies are so friendly, but I'm attributing it to the breed.

I also agree with everyone else: Only one male in a group of 4 ducks.

Good luck.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Best to have more females than males.. exact ratio opinions seem to vary... but either way you can never go wrong with having several hens to one drake. Although, I admit ATM my flock is all messed up, i have a 3;5 but oddly enough despite a rough start this year all has calmed down? I have two broody hens so i am hoping they hatch me some girls! [​IMG] Regardless, it's still best to not have such a high drake ratio.

Anyhow, i have Muscovy, I consider them friendly, You can pet my oldest drake... and the hens peep and wag at you. My kids can pick up all the birds if they have too ..drakes included, but they do have rather extreme claws so one has to be careful.

I think it depends on what your expecting from your birds, I am not interested in cuddling or anything similar with my birds, we "talk" but I am don't want them like say a cat or a dog, just to listen and behave appropriately ie; NOBODY attacks me or goes after me, and I expect no nastiness towards my children. I know some prefer a more "in your pocked" type duck... which i know the Muscovy is capable of if you desire.

We're in the country so I have few restrictions here.. all my birds free range and are full flight.

8. MommaDuck

MommaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    Indiana
    Going Quackers, I want the same thing out of my ducks. Friendly enough to where they aren't chasing us around, will come to us and not be afraid. I have not checked local laws but I am pretty sure they are fine. We are surrounded by farms and cornfields, we do have neighbors but we are also in the country. Have you ever been to one of those areas where there are a bunch of small "towns" that you blink as you drive through and you miss it? Yeah that's where we live haha.

9. FireTigeris

Curse the city and the city laws here...

I've never been chased by any of my ducks and they all pool around my feet but don't want to be held or petted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by