Friendly chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickensXOXO, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    I bought some Silkie chickens a few months back, and they were basically grown and not very friendly.

They've hatched out one baby so far, and I would really love to make it friendly.

I think this may be harder since the parents aren't already friendly?

When I come to sit near the coop, the adults get in the far back, so the baby hangs with them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Here he/she is...

[​IMG]

3. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    That's sure a cutie! Sorry I don't have too much input, don't know anything about Silkies. Since they were grown when you got them, it's probably going to take some time to get them friendly. I would probably try giving out treats, and sitting quietly in the run with them. If you keep some treats or scratch on you and dish it out randomly while your in there, they might start coming around. Hope some others will chime in to help you out more. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Treats always bring them around. That said, some just aren't friendly. Mine don't like to be held or picked up even though I handled them as chicks. But they are still very friendly and come say "hi" and follow me around, sometimes even weaving in and out my ankles like a cat. If I pick them up, one will scream like a banshee but most of the others just settle in and allow me to pet them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by