Friendly chickens

carolinewatts4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
What is the best way to get a chicken to like you and to be comfortable around you? My buff Orpington and silver laced Wyandotte are very cautious and hate being picked up. I want them to know I'm a friend!

Use a soft voice, slow movements, and bribe them with treats. When you do pick up a chicken tuck it gently under your arm and walk a bit with it - then set it down gently and walk away - don't try to pick them back up right away. I think you'll get there - just time and patience. Good luck to you!

Another good way to get chickens to be comfortable with you is to get down on their level. I like to sit down in the run on a foam pad and call them to me for treats such as meal worms. They will get right onto your lap, and later will feel comfortable coming up to you and roosting on your lap and legs while you stroke them.

I like to do group hugs. They get addicted to being held close while I kneel on the ground with my arms wrapped around them. As many as nine hens, and the rooster, too, will crowd in for these love fests.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom