Friendly Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RebelsHope, Aug 4, 2007.

1. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I have 25 chicks. They look very similar. So I try to handle one or two for a few minutes a day. They don't seems to be getting very friendly. There are only a few that I can really tell apart from the others so it is really hard to know if I am handeling the same ones all the time or different ones.

They are living in my bedroom right now, in guinea pig cage. err . . brooder [​IMG] So they I see them a lot and they hear the tv and what not, but they still sort of freak out when I walk up the cage and put my hands in.

They don't need to be super friendly but I like them to not freak out when they see me. Hopefully outside they will free range during the day.

Should I just pick two or three to handle all the time?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is the fact that you are looking in from overhead. That is how predators get them in the wild, so they have natural instinct to panic. Try talking as you approach in a low voice and lowering your body a few steps before you get to the brooder, then take your hand in over the edge slowly and down the side of the brooder as you continue to talk to them. Tap on the food or water dish or even the side of the brooder and they should come running with interest. Rings are really helpful for getting them used to you...they love shiny stuff and can't help it but to check it out. It helps that they learn to trust you and know you're safe. I have found the larger groups tend to be more panicky than a few chicks. When one runs, they all run. That's the way a flock should work, so that's what happens.

If this all fails, don't give up hope. Once snacks are introduced, they will be your best friends and follow you all around the yard. We have our flock of over 20 trained to come when I whistle. It is the most beautiful thing. Have fun and keep trying.

Jody

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Keep trying. I find it really hard to get a flock of 25 chicks to become hand tame. They do however, love the treat thing and will all learn to come to you for goodies. I found that if i wanted my chicks to be tamer, I just had to keep them in batches of 6 or less. Good luck!

4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    I don't know if this will help or not, but when my chicks were really young they would freak out when i lifted them and stroked them, and it took a while to get them calmed down. However now that they are older (6 1/2 weeks old) they are really tame, and will come sit on my knee for strokes and cuddles.

I think just being around them and giving them treats will help, but what do i know [​IMG]

Red

5. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    When I walk into my 11 week old Doms' coop, they aren't unfriendly, but they are a bit aloof. When I squat down, however, they come running and a couple will jump up on my knees. So the "attack from above" idea has a lot of merit.

6. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Thanks, I wasn't expecting them to become family pets, but I would like them to at least not be terrified of me. i will keep doing what I am doing and hope for the best [​IMG]

7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    You have a lot of chicks to try and get personal with but you can get the job done. Like they said, get on thier level, and make it fun to be with you. This is our first batch so I hope I'm doing it right, but we only give them certain treats when we hold them. They are still in a brooder at 3.5 wks. old but now when my daughter opens the door, they hop right up to the opening and want to roost on her arm or sit on her lap ( Just keep a towel handly ). Our Austrolorp is the friendliest of them all..then the barred rock.
    Enjoy

8. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    My 25 (now 19) Ameracauna's would go nutso every time they first saw me, until recently. Now I have to be careful not to step on them when I go in the coop. [​IMG] Some of them will stare at me and growl if I'm not petting them, and another one will hop on my shoulder if I'm crouched down to pet another one.

The two roos are still shy, but now that all the ladies crowd around me they kind of edge up to me, like "Hey, okay now. What's your secret?" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by