Friendly cochin turned into hand and eye special ops assasin

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wokawidget, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Wokawidget

Wokawidget Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Hi,

I have a RIR, Cuckoo Marans, White Campbell Duck and a Lavender Bantam Cochin. They are all roughly 6 months old.
    The duck is top in the pecking order, but never has to prove this :eek:)
    The RIR now and again has a go at the Marans and Cochin.
    The Cochin and Marans are completely neutral and are never the aggressor.

We got them all very young, the Cochin was a few days old.
    The Cochin has always been the friendliest, always jumping on you, demanding to be stroked...proper lap chicken as people call them on here.
    About 2 months ago they all started laying, and laying loads...5 / week from each of the chickens and 1 a day for the last 4 months without fail from the duck...she's outlaying the RIR which I impressed with.
    Very soon after they all started laying the Cochin started to get aggressive...she started going for eyes, and we thought she was going to eye lashes. She caught me a good one and I couldn't see out of my eye for over 30 hrs.
    Since then she'll be on your lap, then 5-20 minutes later, without warning...*PECK*...she attacks my hand...and again *PECK*...Bad chicken!
    In the past 2 weeks this has got quite bad...not only does she peck your hand but she's started to stand tall, fluff all her neck feathers up, points her wing tips to the floor, lets out an attack cry and then procedes to put all her energy into attacking my hand...she actively chases your hand and tries to tear my skin off when she manages to get it.
    If I pick her up in the air in a position she feels uncomfortable with then she calms down, then the stroking continues...she still wants to be stroked...but then...few minuets later *PECk*...[​IMG]

Now what we have found is that she ONLY does this on an evening when it's dark outside and we are watching TV. During the day she's still as placid as a friendly sponge.
    It's odd, we can't figure out what's triggering it...but she turns into a very determind hand assasin and she just wants to kill kill kill.
    If she put her on the floor she'll sulk a little then jump back on you to be stroked...but then, you guessed it...*PECK*

Even though she tries to kill my hand she's still never been even remotely aggressive to the other critters.

Any ideas?

Woka

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe it's silly but I'd guess she's tired and wants to go to bed... OR maybe the flashing lights from the TV are causing some sort of "problem"... like sometimes these flashing lights can cause seizures & nausea in humans... ???

I don't know... hopefully you figure it out soon, as she's too small for stew [​IMG]

Funny title [​IMG]

3. Wokawidget

Wokawidget Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Hi,

She was fine with the TV until she started laying, and only in last 2 weeks has she turned attack chicken...and she's generally facing away from it and facing you so she can't even see it.
    If she wanted to leave she knows where her home is, but even when you put her on the floor, she jumps back up to be in your lap.

I have just gone outside and stroked the duck, the Cochin saw the duck was getting attention and jumped on me to be stroked.

It's a puzzling one.

Woka

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by