Friendly, Eye Candy Rooster- Brahma, Cochin or Cream Legbar? Or Something else?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Luffa, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Luffa

Luffa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Central Maryland
    We'd like to get a big, flashy rooster to go with our (3-5) newly hatched hens that we've ordered from Meyer Hatchery. Right now we've got a Cream Legbar roo coming, ship date May 1st, but he's beginning to look dull compared to some of the others I've seen photos of. I confess I've always preferred flashy to elegant. We find we're attracted to red-gold and/or yellow "trimmings" especially.

We've been told that the Asian roos are the most friendly and docile and those are the characteristics we want. We're interested in these birds more as pets than anything else. They'll have a TSC coop which allegedly holds up to 18 standard chickens but intend to always have much less and they'll have the opportunity to free range.

Any advice, suggestions or photos are appreciated!

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I say something else. What kinda ladies you got?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you are only planning on 3 to 5 hens, you should not be getting a rooster at all. Even a gentle rooster will be too much for so few. And if you do add a rooster, ample space is critical. A minimum of 4 sq ft. of coop space is essential to a peaceful flock.

4. Poultrylord

Poultrylord Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Silkies, Japanese Bantams, Easter Eggers, Brahmas, D'anver's (Although some are protective but still friendly.) and d'uccles are all good choices!

5. Luffa

Luffa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Central Maryland
    The hens I have that are supposed to be shipped on May 1st are a Barred Rock, Light Brahma, and Blue Cochin. I've also ordered a Cream Legbar hen and an Appenzeller Spitzhauben hen that didn't have a confirmed ship date but that I've been told by Meyer that I will get.

Is that enough for a rooster? I can live without one. Don't want to overstress the hens with a sex maniac, bullying rooster. We're also getting a Sebastopol Goose locally that should be here in June as a young gosling. When they're mature enough, all will be let loose to free range.

Many of the bantams (the d'uccles really caught my eye) are gorgeous but I was thinking of sticking with the standard size.

I appreciate the advice & welcome!

6. Poultrylord

Poultrylord Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Not sure about barred rock, but other breeds seem okay!

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    With only 5 hens, don't get a rooster. Especially if it's your first time keeping chickens. Roosters turn out much nicer if you have a mature flock of of hens to beat some manners into them when they are young.

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I agree with @junebuggena ... 1,000% !

Cancel the boy and grow out your girls. You may get an oops boy anyways. And they will be happier without a cockerel... ask me how I know! [​IMG]

9. Luffa

Luffa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Central Maryland
    No rooster for now- y'all convinced me! I may cancel the Cream Legbar Hen, too (they're over $30...each) and get something else. Easter Egger, Black Jersey Giant? Something else?'d consider an Ameracauna or Aracauna but they're not available at Meyer. There are two poultry swap meets within an hour of me on March 25th and April 22nd. Maybe I can get something locally.

I'm so tickled to find all you knowledgeable people!

10. Cerise1924

Cerise1924 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I'm asking you how you know! Just because I can't have roosters and gave up a nice Silkie cockerel this weekend... It would be nice to know my girls are happier on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by