friendly farm opossum makes rounds around coop

Pics

ShiftyShickens

Songster
Dec 12, 2017
the Great Mitten
so I've been dealing with Mr. Snaggles for over a year at least with plenty of "run-ins" between him and the barn cats in the past being observed regularly. anyways recently id gotten my flock and the hairs on the back of my neck began to roost when i had seen his pad marks around my girls villa. now i'm feeling rather territorial sure but not without good reason right? seems like everywhere i look there's a story of rogue opossum running a-muck, reeking havoc on sweet feathered babies all over, leaving a ruthless path of destructing in it's wake. but i still have to ask, will that tiny waif of a creature really hurt my girls like i read about? he's so small! i don't really wanna end Mr. snaggles reign of terror is that's what you would call it...i don't want to but i will. i guess my question is. it there a a way for everyone to get along or is all hope lost for our poor heinous looking friend?

Predator proof your pen. The little guy, though cute, is seeking food and shelter. They will tear in your food, eat your eggs, and reach through wire and pull off your chickens' head. Not to mention their feces are loaded with chicken loving parasites. So do your job and protect your chickens. No, you don't have to kill him, but beef up your coops.

Here's some information for you:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...hickens.html&usg=AOvVaw3Yfg7bplK6sLZm9tIZZQv3

First reason the opossum should be destroyed is because they are not a native species of North America. They were brought over from Europe. Other than vehicles I don't know of any predator that eats them. They have such repulsive stink on them that of caught in a leg hold trap, unless the trap is reboiled nothing will get close to it except another opossum. Thirdly not only do you enjoy your tazty chickens, they destroy game bird nests.

They are the most nasty foulest smelling worthless fur bearing animal in the world. I dont like opossums.

The small ones are worse mainly because they can fit through even smaller holes. If an opossum gets in your coop you will have dead chickens. Even at his small size he can easily kill adult chickens. Chickens don't see well, if at all, in the dark. Opossum on the other can see quite well in pitch black and this gives them a huge advantage. I eliminate them on contact. But if you are inclined to a more peaceful resolution...totally your call. But if you trap him, better make sure you are allowed to relocate without breaking any laws.

They are the most nasty foulest smelling worthless fur bearing animal in the world. I dont like opossums.

That is apparent, but they actually have a very beneficial aspect. They are major consumers of ticks and help to hold down the spread of Lyme disease. They also eat grubs, mice and other problem critters.
Opposums- Killers of ticks

Back
Top Bottom