Friendly Geese, reputation underserved?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jamey1, Mar 1, 2017.

1. jamey1

jamey1 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Four Canadian geese made their winter home right right outside of my work (I live in Florida), and let me tell you these are just the most diplomatic and patient birds I've ever met. They immediately established themselves with the local duck population, who are less Jumpy in their presence, but more surprisingly, one pair of geese started rowing close to the local mixed American coot / Common Gallinule population. Now these Gallinule are the least amiable birds I've had the displeasure of knowing, and immediately began their usual antics of shrieking like rubber chickens and sprinting back and forth along the Lilly pads. The geese responded with the most patient of retreats, and returned to the near side of the pond.

Today I go to check on them, and low and behold there sit the goose pair, snuggled up in the shade with a new family of swamp chickens! Good show!

[​IMG]

You can see them here. The coots are hard to see, but if you look carefully they're quite a few birds harmonizing around these visitors. The Gallinule came out from the shade to threaten me.

These geese certainly aren't intimidated by me, but they've been quite the pleasure and serve to calm the other birds. Has anyone else been impressed by their inter-species social skills? Or are these geese an exception?

PS: the four geese arrived together, but yesterday there were only three, and now two. They were clearly pairs, so I worry an alligator might have gotten one, but my fears are somewhat alleviated because that lone third goose didn't seem upset. Maybe goose pairs split up in the winter.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could they have a nest close by? The Canada geese here in western NC are visiting their nesting areas but haven't stated nesting yet. Maybe they are further ahead in Fla. I love Canada Geese they are very regal , Have only admired them from a distance though. @jamey1 Welcome to BYC.

We have the joy of watching them fly over and back daily since we live along river I am always in awe.

3. jamey1

jamey1 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    That hadn't occurred to me. I assumed that they'd migrate north before laying, but since there is an abundance of food... (a woman comes in the morning with seed for the ducks) I'll look around the area!

That sounds beautiful! They certainty awe me! In the evenings the four geese would meet in the parking lot. There they'd converse a bit, maybe one sitting on the warm asphalt, and then all at once they'd trumpet, take positions, and shoot off over the treeline into the sunset. The first time I saw this I worried that they might be leaving for good, but every morning they are back (until now of course). In hindsight, perhaps they all have nest somewhere else and only come to this spot for feeding.

I really do appreciate their presence. Florida's native birds run the gambit from the hauntingly beautiful to the high strung, but geese have a refined grace to them.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We have Canada's that stay year round here. Alot of them aren't migrating any more. So you might have them year round too. One thing you need to be aware of is when nesting the gander will be very aggressive they are very protective of their mates and also their goslings. Just be careful if you happen to walk up on a nest. And maybe tell others too. Alot of people hate geese because they think they are just down right mean. But they are only doing what is instinctual to them protecting their mates and kids.And when people feed them it can make their behavior more aggressive also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by