friendly meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moodusnewchick, Jul 13, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Why oh why are my meaties so friendly? They follow me around the yard, come running when they see me...they're just so nice, especially in comparison to the teenage and baby egg layers. I feel so bad when the teenagers pounce on them 'cause they just paddle away with no backbone to fight back. Is it just b/c processing time is nearing that I am seeing them as nice birds? I have resisted holding them and only call them "fatty mc'patties" for names. I thought I was keeping my distance, but why are they so darn nice?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You are the giant giver of broiler feed God!

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    In chicken world food=affection. It works for girls too. I know chocolate works for me!

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Agreed. It is because you have the food and broilers only speak the language of food.

I had one sweet guy that I brought back from near death. He was the tiniest boy, and we called him Wilbur. The reason he was near death is because I put my meat birds in the 100 degree heat and almost killed ALL of them, but that is beside the point. He only remembered me saving his life. Every day after, he just wanted me to pick him up, scratch his back and pet him. He totally loved me. Of course I had to kill him in the end. It was his destiny. Sad, but true.

5. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    moodusnewchick,

I'm in the same boat you are! I have four (out of 23 "fatty mc'patties") that are exceptionally friendly. They want to be petted and sit on my lap, even when I've just put the food out in the morning.

I've tried not to "tame" them, they just come over when I'm watching the group to make sure everybody is healthy, hop on lap and wiggle under my hand.

My eight egg layers, who are older, the ones I've held and given treats to and tried to pet and hold, the ones brooded in the house, the ones with individual names, the ones I plan on keeping for years, they are mostly just interested in food possibilities.

Not fair, the "fatty mc'patties" were supposed to be ugly and smelly, I was not supposed to be able to tell them apart, I was not supposed to have a problem sending them to be processed. All I wanted was to raise meat chickens in a humane way so I would not have to feel bad eating chicken - bummer. If I raise meat chicks again I'm going to pick chicks that are not Cornish X's, that way if one becomes my favorite chicken I won't be forced to process it. [​IMG]

6. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Quote:Exactly!! And why do I feel bad for them when the teenage egg layers bully them? Well, their day is this coming weekend. Sniff.

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, I'm so glad mine aren't like that!!! When they were 5 wks old they would attack my hand every time I reached into the brooder. Evil death, they hated me!!! Now they swarm me when I go into their pen, and I can't set their feeder and waterer down without almost crushing them from flocking around me. Can't wait till they're butchered!!!

8. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Mine were soooo much nicer than my flighty EEs. It made me sad, but I didnt let myself bond with them, even though it would have been easy. I called all of them "meaty meaty meat treats" [​IMG]

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Quote:Those little pigbeasts love the food. That's all they want, I'm telling ya. It is pathetic. You can practically hear them oinking.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    IDK Mine were pretty friendly and did not mind being petted, When I would sit out in the run they would all come lay down next to me , they were to big to jump up on my lap.... But I kept in mind that they were food.......... But that still dosen't mean you can't give them just as much love as your layers, I mean they are providing for you with thier life..... That to me is one heck of a good reason to show them as much love as possible............ Just my thought on the situation.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by