Friendly Ringneck Pheasant?

If you are looking for a tame ringneck I would look at getting a Jumbo Ringneck. They are usually a lot more calm than a regular ringneck.

I would say it wouldn't hurt to try, but off all my of my pheasants, my ring-neck's are definitely the most flighty. Though I do have Black Ringneck/Melanstic chicks that are pretty tame. My Yellow and Red Goldens will jump on my hand or shoulder and go to sleep.

Ok, and what do you think about me getting just one. I know that there is some mortality issues with pheasants
hu.gif

I think one could be ok, though I did lose some earlier this year because the brooder got too hot - rookie mistake for me. In general though, they are pretty easy to raise, I'm just not sure how tame a ringneck can be - they are a little psycho right after they hatch and mine have stayed that way - much much more flighty than any other pheasant I have.

Ok, I might give one a try. I want to test how tame they can get. I read somewhere that in the wild the chicks only get brooded at night ( the rest of the time they are following their mother), so I could probably spend lots of time with him in the day ( and have him out of the brooder) without any consequences. Now what about pens? All the info I can find about Pheasant pens are for 100 birds or more. I do know that they need like 25-50 square feet per bird, but If I only have one is it still the same?
Pavo Royale, I would like a Golden, but why I'm interested in the ringnecks is that there is a breeder close to my house, and the chicks are only $3 ea.

Back
Top Bottom