Friendly Ringneck Pheasant?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by PrinceSandwich, Jul 7, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Is it possibly to tame a Ringneck Pheasant? Maybe if you got it as a day old, and spend loads of time with it?

2. tysonb24

tysonb24 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Utah
    If you are looking for a tame ringneck I would look at getting a Jumbo Ringneck. They are usually a lot more calm than a regular ringneck.

3. Blackshoulder79

Blackshoulder79 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    NC
    I would say it wouldn't hurt to try, but off all my of my pheasants, my ring-neck's are definitely the most flighty. Though I do have Black Ringneck/Melanstic chicks that are pretty tame. My Yellow and Red Goldens will jump on my hand or shoulder and go to sleep.

4. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Ok, and what do you think about me getting just one. I know that there is some mortality issues with pheasants [​IMG]

5. Blackshoulder79

Blackshoulder79 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    NC
    I think one could be ok, though I did lose some earlier this year because the brooder got too hot - rookie mistake for me. In general though, they are pretty easy to raise, I'm just not sure how tame a ringneck can be - they are a little psycho right after they hatch and mine have stayed that way - much much more flighty than any other pheasant I have.

6. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    If you want a pet, then goldens are the way to go.

7. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Ok, I might give one a try. I want to test how tame they can get. I read somewhere that in the wild the chicks only get brooded at night ( the rest of the time they are following their mother), so I could probably spend lots of time with him in the day ( and have him out of the brooder) without any consequences. Now what about pens? All the info I can find about Pheasant pens are for 100 birds or more. I do know that they need like 25-50 square feet per bird, but If I only have one is it still the same?
    Pavo Royale, I would like a Golden, but why I'm interested in the ringnecks is that there is a breeder close to my house, and the chicks are only $3 ea.

8. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    Yeah, you gotta go with what works. I am not saying that taming the ringneck is a lost cause, tho.

9. moon.walking.duck

moon.walking.duck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
  10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by