friendly roo turned bully!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaybats, Jul 23, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I have 2 roos, both 20 weeks old, one slightly larger. Everybody was getting along great until a few days ago (only 3 girls in the coop/run at the moment. Out of nowhere the bigger roo started becoming increasingly more aggressive toward the little guy. I had to separate them for his own safety.

A couple of days ago, he charged my friend, fully intending an attack....open beak, puffed up, wings flappin'..

Now today, he attacked me! ME, of all people, treat lady, feed lady, ice blocks lady, etc. All I did was open the gate on the coop. He actually drew blood.

It's going to be a while til I can get my new babies in with everybody...they are still only one and two weeks old. The coop is plenty big enough for 20 chickens....Should I give it more time and maybe he'll get relaxed again when there are more girls?

He ALWAYS let me pet him and stroke his wattle and rub under his wings. That's why I can't understand his behavior now!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Testosterone . The root of all evils:lau You probably spoiled him so now he is not afraid of you and wants to be top dog. Either you need to dominate him, or he will keep attacking you

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Mine did the same thing at 17 weeks went from nice to not so nice over night.. But that is their nature some people say you can retrain a Roo. With mine we have agreed give each other space. We dont bother him he dont bother us. But it took a flagging stick to get that. Flagging stick is a horse whip stick with a flag tied to the end. It is not used to whip or cause harm it is used as a tool to move the animals just by waving the flag at them not hitting them uless it is nessasary to protect yourself. can be bought at any feed or tac store. I can post pics if needed message me if needed. Good luck the other alternative is fire up the BBQ.

4. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Yeah, spoiled is right. And I agree with the testosterone thing. All three girls are with him....he wouldn't let the other one anywhere near them...that's why I separated them. I understood that part....but to come after me....yikes.

Anyone have suggestions o nhow I can show him who's boss without him turning on me even more?

I love them all so much....The alternaative is unimaginable for me.....

5. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Thank you tenmore.....would a fly swatter work til I can get one of those flag things?

Alternative.....[​IMG]

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You need to act like a dominant rooster. Don't let him breed the hens while you are there and follow him around, like a dominant rooster would. I saw a good post on it once, do a search under aggressive roosters.

7. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Just carry a biggggg stick, going though the same here.. lol

8. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Anything will work but a fly swatter puts you down by him something longer maybe an old fishing pole with a piece of platic taped to it will work a stick with plactic. You dont have to go buy a flagger just make one out of what ever you have laying around. The goal is just move him off no to hurt him. It is a extention of your hand thats all it is. use it to show him your the boss dont let him do anything while in your presence dont let him breed like was suggested above. thats him saying Im the boss these girls are mine. It only took one or to time for me to change hi behavior. I dont pick him up anymore but I can pet him agaim with out him sriking out. My 6 and 8 year old boys use the flagger aswell to move him off. Good luck

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Old timers always kept a garden rake or 5 tong pitch fork at the door of the coop. It's first use was, obviously, to stir the litter. It's second use is becoming quite clear to those whose roosters are "coming of age". [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He regards you as a flock member, and it is his intent to subordinate you. His behavior will escalate unless you can assure him that you are dominant. The more socialized the rooster the greater the chance that he will become human aggressive. They do not react to affection the way that cats and dogs do. Make pets of your hens and treat your roosters like chickens is good husbandry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by