Friendly rooster not so friendly to my daughter...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cchapmanelectric, Jun 14, 2019.

1. cchapmanelectric

cchapmanelectric In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    My daughter came in from out of state for a visit. The last time she was here, Gladis, my rooster was just a young one. (Yeah, Gladis... We only assumed he was a she being there was only a 1% chance she would be a he so...)
    Now that he is around the 6 month old age, full grown, mating everything in site like many of us guys attempted to be at the adolescent age of 16 he suddenly attacked someone for the first time ever.
    We get people here as friends may come by to visit so he is no stranger to strangers. My daughter, on the other hand, he despises!!! He will hunt her down, act nonchalant while pecking at the concrete or lawn, getting closer and closer until he feels close enough to attack. No blood. (yet). Going for her tatoo'd leg. We covered the tattoo to see if it made any difference but didn't help.
    The two of us (Gladis and I) have had our "moment" of dominance. I've won that competition. As I see him walking toward my daughter, I intervene as he quickly retreats to where he was prior.
    What in the world could be on his mind with being so aggressive toward this one person and no one else? Has anyone else had this kind of behavior?
    I've heard of "one person" animals but that is usually for love, not hate.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She's probably afraid? They will feed on any fear. At 6 months your rooster is sexually maturing. I personally would be rid of one showing those behaviors.

3. Like many animals, roosters can tell when someone is scared of them, and will take every opportunity to attack.
    You mention children and i would definately NOT want this rooster around them. A lot of damage can be done in moment. At his age he may have begining spurs. At a young age a rooster we had was attacking me and i stupidly kicked at him. His spurrs punctured my calf and ankle. The ankle was penitrated to the bone and got infected. Not fun.
    My Mom dressed out the rooster and invited him to dinner.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    True Dat.
    Why a calm and confident demeanor in the human is essential when handling cock/erel's...or even the females.
    I've found over and over again when handling birds, if I'm anxious or nervous, they are much less calm.

5. cchapmanelectric

Jun 14, 2019
    Thank you all for the replies.
    As for the question brought up a couple times...
    Yes, my 27 year old daughter was a bit "nervous" with him.
    I can go to the roo, pick him up with little resistance and hold him. He "tries" to escape but I hold him, calm him down and then he sits in my arms and enjoys the attention for a while. I can open my arms and he will stay, getting his neck rub and talking to.
    He tries to inform me he is "the man" in the yard but I reply back informing he is not. When he crows sometimes I will "crow" with him and louder to show dominance.
    We have a mutual respect for each other as well as it could be. He sometimes jumps up onto my chair I sit in.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! He's young, and showing bad behaviors, and is likely to escalate this behavior and widen his target choices.
    He's a liability, and would be invited to dinner soonest if he lived here. I've had wonderful roosters, and this is not something any of the really good ones ever considered trying.
    Mary

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ummm, Dude, you're not a chicken.
    Acting like you think you are one may backfire.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I am also not a chicken, I'm the giant who brings food. In no way do I try to become part of the flock! Chickens will interact with me, but not as another bird.
    Mary

cchapmanelectric likes this.
  9. cchapmanelectric

Jun 14, 2019
    I have some very precious ladies with the birds. they enjoy being around us at times. More of a pet than how some may consider them a tool.
    We do use them as the tools for the eggs and such but we may spoil our pets a bit more than some others may...
    That being said, he has only shown this behavior to the one person. No one else has had any kind of anger shown to them.
    Do you suppose getting rid of him at this point is a bit hasty? He's quite precious to my wife and I, being the main people during the "relax time" for them through the day. We may sit at the patio and watch some tv on the patio telivision and he will join us.
    I am in no way use to having chickens. I am learning a lot from this group here. I've always heard that roo's are commonly more aggressive due to their mentality of protecting the girls. My assumption has always been that the female's are more of a well natured hen where the roo is typically more aggressive. It sounds as though this rookie is wrong with his assumptions....

10. cchapmanelectric

Jun 14, 2019
    I'm such a rookie at this.
    Let me clarify or just defend myself as sometimes I say things that can be taken out of my sarcastic sense of humor may be directing...
    What I'm meaning by the word "crow" is essentially, as he may be close to me, maybe hanging out on the porch I have for these guys in my office he will crow. I wasn't saying I will jump out of the desk chair, walk around pecking the floor and crow like another chicken. I was just speak or yell out in a non-threatening mannor while he is doing his crowing. I've heard that when they crow, it's showing a sign of dominance. I thought that, while he was doing his "thing" I would do mine louder showing my dominance is greater.... Am I a COMPLETE idiot or just merely still just a partial one???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: