Friendly Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jenace, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Jenace

Jenace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    Can anyone tell me what are the best breeds to get a DOCILE and FRIENDLY rooster? I just want to get one rooster for a SMALL flock. Any ideas?

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Go with docile breeds: Orpingtons, Cochins, Silkies.

3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Get a cockerel from someone who has a well tempered rooster - temperament is largely genetic. Parentage is more important than breed here. There are some really nasty silky roosters out there, and some really good RIRs.

1 person likes this.
  4. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    True. Goodness knows there are always TONS of ppl trying to rehome good roosters here on BYC.

5. Jenace

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    I'm getting chicksfrom some chicken place. Ha ha... Sorry, haven't worked out the details, but anyway -- I have to pick a breed. I am just trying to find the none-for-being-docile birds and get a rooster in that breed. I'll be hand-caring for them and trying to socialize with them a lot. But there can always be a bad rooster.

6. Jenace

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    Do you think a speckled sussex rooster would be a fine choice?

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I love my SS hens, but two of three cockrels I raised turned into human aggressive jerks. The birds were from two different hatcheries, not show breeder flocks, so maybe SS cockrels from a breeder who culls for temperament would work out better. Or get an older cockrel or cock with known behavior. The SS are wonderful birds, IMO, and beautiful! As other posters mentioned, individual temperament, more than breed type matters. Mary

8. Jenace

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    So I might just have to pick what I want and hope for the best? (Also, the more you handle them as chicks, the better they are when they grow up, right?)

9. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Ehhhh ... it's a crap shoot. Sometimes over-taming just makes the roosters think you're below them in the pecking order, which leads to aggression down the road. Pick what you want, hope for the best, if it doesn't work out, send that nasty roo to freezer camp and find a nice one here on the forum.

10. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have had some bad ones. Right now I have a few very good ones. Never even looked at me funny. I rally think its genetic. I have raised some Marans from a rooster that I know was friendly and all his offspring that I have kept have been friendly.
    Find out what their fathers were like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by