Friend's broody took in 3 week old chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hannalice, Jul 25, 2010.

1. hannalice

hannalice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    Just wanted to share... like a dummy, I didn't have my camera with me.

I was brooding 5 Minorca chicks and 5 Ideal 236 chicks for a friend, along with my own birds. Said chicks started picking on my broiler chicks to the point of bloodying them, and after they started in on the second broiler, I sent them over to her house- she has an enclosed barn that stays quite warm, she put them in a horse stall with a heat lamp (3 week olds) and all was well. That was 2 days ago. I was a little worried about the little buggers, but when I came in to the barn today to do chores, I peeked into the stall they were in and there was her Cochin hen that had been broody (but unsuccessful) for quite a while! They were following her around, she was showing them food, they were hopping all over her... it was SO CUTE. They've now got a 10'x10' stall to chase each other around in, and a mommy!

And now I want my own broody hen. Oy vey.

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] Wow never heard of that ! Cool ! [​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats great news...... I am going to townshend VT get some 4 week old barred rock chicks this afternoon, and i have about 5+ broodies [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. hannalice

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    Quote:ROFL that's where those chicks are now! Gotta love how small this world is.

5. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:ROFL that's where those chicks are now! Gotta love how small this world is.

[​IMG] Thats funny........out of all VT. I got them at riverbend feeds.......the big horse farm on rt 30 right on the newfane/townshend line.

6. hannalice

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    Sure, I drive past there every time I go to the barn, know the lady that owns the place personally. She's a good gal, I'd have gotten my birds from her if she'd had the breeds I wanted. Definitely worse places to buy chicks in this world! [​IMG]

7. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    We had a hard time finding the place, then Roxy scared me half to death.....thought i was going to be dinner [​IMG]
    Do you know Roxy?

8. hannalice

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    LOL, yes, I do, rather well. I work at the vet clinic she goes to, she's had a hard time of it. You wouldn't think so to look at her (be threatened by her) now though! [​IMG]

(We seem to be getting rather OT... not like it really matters, who's paying attention?? [​IMG] )

9. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I am not sure what most of that meant........... [​IMG] Must be getting too late for me [​IMG]
    LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by