(Friends) hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilyLovesBugs, Mar 10, 2012.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    My (best) friend got 11 hens in the summer. When she first got them they layed for her, but after a couple weeks just stopped, even though it was still summer, and they never started again, now that its march and they still haven't started, I decided I would ask.

Thank you!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Lily,

It seems like they should be picking up, and with 11 she should be getting some eggs by now.

There used to be a sticky at the top of this topic, but I didn't see it just now, about hens not laying. Here is hopefully a link to a lot of reasons:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=hens+not+laying

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=why+arent+my+chickens+laying?

They could need better/different nutrition
    They could have parasites or worms
    They could be a breed that doesn't lay frequently, or doesn't lay many eggs
    They could be getting up there in years and their egg production is slowing
    They could be laying but your friend doesn't know exactly where they are laying if she allows them to free range
    Something or someone could be getting the eggs, (like a snake) or they could be eating their eggs.

Sooo many possibilities. Hopefully if you look at those links you may find some ideas that you can suggest to her to improve the production of her hens.

3. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Thanks for the help, she has Rhode Island Reds and Speckled Sussex, and our speckled sussex is really good about laying, I'll have to talk with her, thanks so much!

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You are very welcome. I hope between the two of you and the info on this forum you can get her egg production back on line. :O)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by