1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Friends wolf dog bites tongue of family dog.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I just got a call from friends. They have wolf dogs and keep insisting that they're safe pets. I want to pull my hair out!!!

Already, their boston terrier got pulled through the chain link fence and the dog was taken by the head by one of the wolf dogs. Trip to the emergency room.

They went for a walk with their two dogs and one wolf dog and one of the dogs got into it with the wolf dog. The wolf dog bit part of their dogs tongue off. They
    said it's about the size of a quarter. They called me for advice. Which was, btw, take the dog to the vet now. It's still bleeding and the poor dog needs it's tongue!!

These friends let their small children go into the pens with the wolves, and I'm sure they were all together going on a family walk when this happened. I have told my
    own children they are not allowed near the pens EVER. Now I'm wondering if I even want to let my kids go over there. Doesn't seem like either parent is using any
    common sense!!

Thanks for letting me get it all out.

edited for spelling error.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Definitely keep YOUR kids away. These can be friendly pets, but they are NOT to be trusted.

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:x2

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I wouldn't let my kids go over & I'd make an anonymous call to CPS to let them know that these folks are letting their kids in the pen with dangerous animals.

Wolf hybrids are illegal in many places.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Coming from someone who has raised all kinds of exotic animals like wolves, bears, cougars, etc... in the past, Wolves are wild animals. They might be pets, might be "tame" but they are not domesticated and should NEVER be kept by people who aren't trained and experianced. I wouldn't let MY kids go over there. JMHO
    I'm not knocking wolves. They are beautiful, wonderfull, and very majestic creatures. But they are not pets.
    People like that ruin keeping exotics for everyone else.
    edited to add; I missed the part about them being hybrids (Wolf dogs), but my statement stands. It's still in their nature.

6. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    It sounds like the owners don't know how to hadle their animals. I wouldn't let your kids go over. I would give animal control a heads up about them.

Unfortunately its NOT the hybrids fault that the owner is an idiot. I have owned a wolf and wolf dog and they are great animals and IF handled right are totally trust worthy. Just like a pit. HOWEVER the owners do have to know what the heck they are doing.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Keep your kids away from there..
    It will only be a matter of time before one of their kids gets bit and CPS is called..you dont want to be anywhere near it.

8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:X3

I am not knocking the breed by any means, but these particular hybreds have proven themselves to be untrustworthy.

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    These, in my opinion, are more dangerous than wolves. They are 95 % wolf with enough dog in them to make them not fearful of humans. They ARE wild animals!!

They have the permits to keep them but like I said, no common sense. They have the pen double fenced where the gates are but the entire side of the pens are just a single layer
    of chain link. They don't have locks on the gates either.

I have told them over and over that these are dangerous animals but they don't want to listen. They just call me for damage control. [​IMG]

Yeah, I'm afraid the kids won't be able to go over there. It is just a matter of time...

The thing is, before they got more, they asked me my opinion. I told them that wolf dogs and small children don't go together. Why do people ask your advice then don't take it? [​IMG]

edited to change my woot to a rant

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  10. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I totally agree, a wolf dog is NOT a dog, it is a wolf. It has all the wild instincts of the wolf, it is not the cute little puppy-fied "doggie". People should have to be trained in handling & care of wolves before owning a wolf or a hybrid. [​IMG] Too many idiots are getting ahold of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by