1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Friends

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MasterOfClucker, Jan 15, 2017.

1. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Was thinking about this and said why not share.So i have two chickens that are at the bottom of the pecking order and they (were) best friends they would hang out by themselves eat with each other ect. .Everything changed the next morning they now hate each other and when i mean hate i mean hate they absolutely want to kill each other.Just thought i would share.Ive been thinking about why they hate each other now but really cant come up with anything.Maybe you guys will have a input

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's interesting. I don't have any answer as to why they would change like that but I want to hear what others have to say.

Hope someone can shed some light on that for you!

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You have two hens on the bottom of the pecking order. One hen is dominant over the other. I assume the one decided it didn't want to be at the bottom and decided to overthrow the one above it.

This time of year increasing daylight causes chickens to experience hormonal surges in preparation for the breeding season, and many birds are fighting for dominance. A more dominant bird has a better chance of her offspring surviving. The hens don't know that they will probably not have chicks, but it doesn't stop the instinct to climb the pecking order.

3 people like this.
  4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

I've seen some 'fighting' lately...just yesterday saw two hens go at it with feet flying, and they weren't playing patty cake, haha!
    It was short lived, lots of space to get away...tho one followed the other for awhile, I imagine she was contemplating continuation of the 'fight'.

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yep.Saw that too.They flew up in the air for a second then ran away.

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by