friendship advice...help needed....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Dar, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    here goes...

a friend of mine ...have known her for about 8 yrs.. she bends over backwards to help me when i need a hand and i do the same for her.

babysitting
    lending of vehicles
    references for work
    she signed my passport...
    shoulder to cry on
    you get the point

well about a week ago she called and asked if i know where she could borrow $500
    she is short for her rent

we have an agreement we never borrow money cause it ruins friendships

she is always spending her money foolishly she spend $150 on a tattoo when she was already short for rent that kind of thing.

I have the money to loan her but i can afford not to get it back, if i dont get it back it could mean me canceling my vacation in january... what would you do?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:There it is....some life lessons are hard to learn.

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah, I agree.

"I love you, but I can't enable you to spend foolishly"

hard lesson.

4. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not lend money to a friend. From personal experience, it puts a real strain on the relationship, whether it gets paid back or not.

If you decide to, put it in writing, signed by both parties. Make reasonable payment terms with a definate due date. Make it like a business loan. At least if something goes wrong, you'll have proof to take to small claims court.

Good luck.

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I agree with previous posts. I wouldn't lend the money either. Your friend needs to get her priorities straightened out when it comes to where her money goes. [​IMG]

6. Rillion

Rillion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    Rent is an important thing. I would loan it to her, but make some kind of arrangement that would make it really difficult for her to not pay it off quickly. Charge interest. Make it clear to her that you can't go long without it being paid back. Let her know that the friendship is at stake if she doesn't do so. If she cares about you at all, she'll listen and pay you back promptly. If she doesn't, she wasn't that good of a friend in the first place.

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I am not trying to be mean, but I would say I am really sorry, things are tough with everyone at the present time, I know she will understand.

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I never loan money with the expectation of getting it back. Loan it only if you can afford not to be repaid. Friendship is worth more than money. If it will make hard feelings if she does not pay you back I would not loan it to her.

9. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:I agree.

Also, it seems that the fastest way to loose a friend it so lend them money. Maybe say something to her like "" I used to come up short on stuff until I started budgeting. It really helped me. Even though I can't lend you the money, I'd be glad to sit down with you and show you how to create a budget so you can get caught up on things."

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:thats what i told her last week but she knows we are planning a big vacation in januray, but she still asked again tonight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by