Friendship bread

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cassie, Oct 12, 2009.

1. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Does anyone know where I can get the starter for Amish Friendship Bread? Ane the instructions on how to care for it?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I googled it once and found it. I had it but lost it.. [​IMG]

3. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
  4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    That is the best bread! I used to have printed instructions for caring and sharing it. Hope you find a source! Any Amish or Mennonite communities near you?

5. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a starter that I've had going for a couple of years now. If you'd be willing to pay the shipping, I'd be more than happy to send one to you.

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Quote:I may take you up on that. I did find a recipe for starter online and started it, but my track record on this sort of thing isn't great. Two questions. Will the starter survive shipping and can you keep it in the fridge? PM me about postage and all.

8. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I have all kinds of starter in my freezer all I do is take it out and let it thaw out and then start from day 1 I have the directions here somewhere if I can find them I will post them for you, and it sets on my table until the day I go to bake it so I dont think it would hurt it to ship it.

9. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

This
    site has lots of great ideas for variations.... DH loves the chocolate chip coconut one.

I have a starter from a local lady that I've had almost 2 years now. I freeze them and haven't had a problem. I did ship one to a BYC member last year and she said it survived even though it took 5 days to reach her.

10. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I may take you up on that. I did find a recipe for starter online and started it, but my track record on this sort of thing isn't great. Two questions. Will the starter survive shipping and can you keep it in the fridge? PM me about postage and all.

Yup, it should survive just fine during shipping. I have frozen a number of them, and I have always been able to bring them back alive. I'll drop you a PM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by