frightened chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jkhenry, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jkhenry

jkhenry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    i have put my 3 week old chicks out in the run twice when it was good weather to let them get used to run and coop this time i put them out they stayed in coop the whole time the temp was 65-70 degrees when time to go back in brooder i had a hard time catching them the other 2 times i let them out they were pecking ground scratching like normal i hope i havent scared my girls cuz im catching them too much and moving them around can sumone explain to me whats goin on

2. SmallFlocker207

SmallFlocker207 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    No worries, they don't hate you or like you or anything. When chickens are babies, anything bigger than them are considered a threat. When they get to be adults, they will be smart enough to know that you are not gonna hurt them.

3. jkhenry

jkhenry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    ok thanx may im worrying for nothin this is my first time raising
    chicks thanx again

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If you want birds to be calm, even as chicks, then adjust your behavior around them. Try to avoid chasing them, rather entice them with eats and do not stare directly at them. Make so at end of day when you want to police them up, that they are hungry. Then provide them food in location you want them to go to assuming they already will go their on their own accord. You can also teach them to come to voice commands (specific names associated with treats like mealworms).

5. swga

swga Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    We use a little song called "the chick-chick song" whenever we would give them treats. Just sing-songy "here chick chick here chick chick here chick here chick chick chick chick" (that's my whole song-writing expertise right there, folks) and give them Cheerios or whatever treat.
    Now when I sing the chick chick song they know they are going to get something good and come running. It also works wonders to calm them down if they get frightened. Have a handful of scratch or something with you and get them used to this- it will make that chore SO much easier if they come to you rather than being chased.
    I move them back and forth from their outdoor day coop to the indoor night coop with a cat carrier. I just sing the song and toss some scratch or Cheerios in there and they hop right in. When I bring them back in I just open the cat carrier door and they climb right into their run, no hassle at all.
    Another thing... don't be quiet around your birds. Have the TV on, talk loudly, go about your normal business. Don't move slowly or strangely like tiptoeing around them. They will get used to everything and be much calmer adults that startle less often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by