1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frillback Pigeon Identity Band Troubles.

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Shinshimon, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Shinshimon

Shinshimon New Egg

Nov 15, 2015
    Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I was in a bit of a rush. Will edit when I have more time.

Hello fellow bird fanciers!
    I have a question pertaining to my pigeon's leg band, I hope I can explain my predicament properly.
    I have acquired a Frillback Pigeon from a supposed breeder. Peplum (who is supposedly female) is a beautiful red color with some spots of grey and white flight feathers. The breeder said she was about a year, however the band reads: NPA 10 05 HC 569. If I correctly read the band it means she is actually 10 years? So, I'm confused about the lying or unknowing breeder, and I want to know the truth. Is she actually a he? Is she a year old or ten years old?
    I've tried contacting the official band people numerous times with my questions, they've always failed to respond.

Ps. This is one my first pigeons so I'm a bit new. She seems deathly afraid of people, how can I get her to understand that I mean no harm? I have a feeling that the breeder mistreated her and was just an a** hole who duped me for my money.
    Do frillbacks lay infertile eggs? I don't know how I'd tell if she was actually a he.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  3. OTTB228

OTTB228 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2015
    Kansas
    You are reading the band correctly. Like hocum coco said, some fanciers use & reuse old bands. If you absolutely have to positively be sure of the sex, you can have a DNA test run. Are you planning on breeding? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Shinshimon

Shinshimon New Egg

Nov 15, 2015
    Thank you both, I guess that breeder wasn't bad after all. I feel bad for ever thinking so.

And thus the quest for whole unsalted and peanuts [without shells] begins.

Peplum is a bit iridescent around the crop area. Besides being quiet and never seeming to bow or dance, i'm starting to think he's a male.
    Every now and then he will "hmm... hmm... hmm." In a soft whisper.
    What does that mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by