Frillback Pigeons laying time? Regional / Seasonal?

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I got a pair (supposedly a pair) of frillback pigeons last Oct. Hahaha, one coos and the other doesn't --- so I think they are a pair.
They are delightful birds but I'm curious when they *typically* start laying for the season in SC (or southeast in general).

There is a flood light near their loft that is on all night. A visitor mentioned that might discombobulate their mating/laying and they might need to be in the dark.
I'm 'pigeon-ignorant' about that.
Thanks!
smile.png

Lisa

Pigeons don't have a particular season. As the days get longer, they get more motivated to start laying. But once they get in the groove, they may continue breeding for as long as you let them. "Breeding season" for most pigeon fanciers is in the spring. Different people put their birds together at different times, depending on the breed. I pair my racing pigeons up on Thanksgiving weekend, after they've been apart for most of the year. Finally having a mate again usually gets them up and going, but if not, I leave a light on to trick them into thinking it's springtime. Breeding season for me ends when the birds have raised 3 or 4 clutches of babies, then they are separated and have the rest of the year off until it's time to start again. Other people in my club don't pair up until Valentines day or anywhere in between.

But of course we do this because we have races in the fall for the birds bred that year. Fancy birds or anyone wanting to breed pigeons for the heck of it, there's no set time
smile.png
If you want them to start up sooner, make their daylight longer. If you're in no rush, let them do as they please
smile.png

The flood light shouldn't really bother them much. As long as it is dim in the loft, they still usually take it as night.

Hello I have White Fantails,Jacobins and Figurita's I keep my pairs together year round and they will breed and raise year round.
I don't allow them to hatch eggs in the winter as I have had one baby push out the other and it freeze to death, I just remove the eggs when they lay them.
I let mine breed and raise from March to whenever the weather gets cold here about November.

Sexing Pigeons is easy if they are adults the male will coo and make advance's to the female and the female will respond back by bowing her head to the male.
Sometimes my white fantails will do a mating dance where they whirl around before mating, the male will also feed the female regurgitated food at this time.

Thanks! Maybe mine are young and just getting to mating age --- I don't remember asking age, I was sooo excited to find 'frizzled pigeons'!
I've not taken pics, but if they were chickens, they'd be a blue and a splash.
The male (splash) hasn't done any mating that I've seen. He picks pellets out of the feeder and sits in the nestbowl with them in his beak. Sometimes the blue will come take one, but mostly she ignores him.
I'll watch for the head-bobbing.
smile.png

Lisa

Frillbacks Are Hard To Sex They Seem To Mature More Slowly Than Other Breeds The Guys With Rel Show Type Birds Will Say That Had 10 At One Time Could Not Raise Any Gave Up On Them Found Out Very Shy And Need To Be Left Alone With Little Interferance From Us Humans This Just My Exp.

Hi! Well, here we are into June and no sign of mating/nesting/eggs, so I think I must have two males. The older splash male coos all the time. The *younger* blue one I thought was female has started cooing as well.
On the positive side, they are beautiful and and get along penned together.

smile.png

Lisa

HI, I know this thread is an older thread but by chance does anyone in SC have any frillback pigeons for sale? Male or female.

Back
Top Bottom