frist broody hen what do i do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninny, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I have a hen that want broody. I want to move her. When should i do this? Do i leave her with the chicks when they hatch or bring them in. I really need these little guys to live. Help please!

2. deborah

deborah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    Move her in the evening when they are settling down. Make sure you put her in an area where other hens can't get on the nest. Is she already sitting on the eggs you want to hatch? If so, move them with her. Otherwise, use fake eggs or golf balls and make sure she settles in before putting in the eggs you want her to hatch. When they hatch, let her take care of them. She can do a much better job than you can. It's wonderful to watch a mother hen with her chicks. Good luck.

3. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Hi, where has she gone broody? if she is likely to be in danger i.e out in the open then you will need to get her in the coop so she can be safely locked up at night, you will have to get a nest box for her and move her together with her eggs quietly and gently, the chicks will be fine to be left with mum, she will keep them warm and teach them how to eat far better than we can! [​IMG]

4. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Ok so tonight her and the eggs get moved.

5. babettenj

babettenj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    why do say to be sure to put the nest where other hens can't get to it. i have a broody that i've left in the coop with her eggs- the other hens do lay in the box as well- they sit on top of her, but i remove those eggs. i figure as it gets close to hatch date i'll candle the eggs and if they're viable i'll move her and her eggs. did i screw up? BTW this is her second time going broody. the first time the hatch date would coincide with my vacation away from home so i didn't let her keep eggs. she took a month's break and then went back on the nest. we bring her food and water. advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by