Frito won't open his eye and is getting pecked by the other chickens! Help!

FritoChicken

Hatching
Feb 19, 2017
My Bantam Frito is getting pecked by the other chickens in the coop. We have been keeping him inside the house because we think he is sick. He wasn't opening his both his eyes but we rinsed his eye and put some triple antiobiotic on the eyes. He has opened one two days ago but the other he still won't open the other. He also has not a full crop for the past three days. :/ I don't know what do do with him. We think he might have an eye infection but he acts pretty sleepy and he try's to clear his beak often. Help!!!

Have they been pecking his eyes or just his body in general? If they've been pecking his eyes, they probably hurt them, so it's to painful for him to open the one. Are your other chickens bantams too, or not? If not, he might be getting beat up on because he's smaller. Keep him inside and away from the other chickens for now. Be sure that he stays hydrated and eats. If there is an avian vet in your area, it might be worth taking him there to get checked out. Do his eyes seem swollen? When he opened his one eye, did it look unusual or did it look healthy and normal? Hopefully he gets better! :fl

Last edited:
They have been pecking his neck as far as I can see. He doesn't have very many feathers on the back of his neck. Not all the flock is bantams. We have 4 bantys and 12 Rhode Island Red/white mixes. With the eye that he did open, it seemed pretty normal. He opened up his bad eye last night for a little while but it looked kinda whitish. It also had a greenish tinge around the edge of his eyelid

Last edited:
Sounds like the eye may be infected. It's serious because the infection is very close to the brain, and if it reaches the brain, it's all over for him. I would get him on an antibiotic. Ask any vet and they will give you a prescription or sell you some.

Last edited:
I agree with @azygous! Definitely get him an antibiotic, you can get them from any vet and it doesn't have to be from an avian vet. I would think that it might be the Rhode Island Red/White mixes that are picking at him, but this is only a guess and I can't be certain.

Back
Top Bottom