1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle and Cold

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MicMoo, Dec 12, 2008.

1. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Am I right in assuming that a frizzle chicken's wacky feathers would provide less protection from cold because they can't trap air the same way regular feathers can?

2. MicMoo

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    - Bump -

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'm not sure, but i give mine a heat lamp just in case. They dont seem too dependant on it, but i keep it there anyway.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    MicMoo - I didn't know you had frizzles!!!

I'd bet that they're more susceptible to the cold for just the reason you mentioned. Hope your girls are going well. Mine are scared of the snow, which has been rather amusing.

5. dakotasnake

dakotasnake Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    i have 2 frizzles and they seam to do well in the cold, it has been well below zero for several daze here and they dont even bother to snuggle with the 30 rir's and slw's in the unheated barn. they have not layed since the cold snap began but the others are still laying . i do give them alot of cracked corn and they get a hot dinner of scratch and oatmeal.

6. MicMoo

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:I've got three bantams, one of them is a frizzle and she tends to roost between the other two when it's cold. They are all doing fine in our current cold snap. There's a lightbulb in the coop that keeps the temp at about 30-32 degrees when it's in the low 20's outside.

They haven't gone out into the snow, but the snow has clumped in the wire above their run so they've got a kind of igloo-effect keeping the grass in the run free of snow.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Only my BSL will go out in the snow. The others refuse, and have been sitting under the coop giving the snow the collective stink eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by