frizzle Breeding from the Frizzle Club site

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Glenda Heywoodo, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Glenda Heywoodo

Glenda Heywoodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Cassville Missouri
    FROM EXHIBIION FRIZZLE FACEBOOK SITE
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/271...664785&notif_t=like&notif_id=1483209564734474
    Glenda Heywood posted this: Breeding frizzle cochins
    When I think of a good cochin I always liked a good broad width of body correct feet and beak and eye color for the color cochin you are breeding.
    So the first thing to do is buy an ABA or APA standard and study the breed type first.
    Also the bird needs good width of feather as this will make a good breeder. The sex is up to the breeder as to which sex is frizzled and which sex is smooth feathered.
    I personally did not like to breed stringy feathered cochins.
    I never liked a long head or skinny headed cochin. Also always keep the beak in proper beak condition. And always be careful to only breed cochins with good beak and feet color as well as good eye color. Thus both breeders need correct colored beak, feet and leg and eye color. Always use correct breed type as the winning frizzle cochin will be judged against the cochin breed type as well as good frizzled feathers.

Sheryl Butler I have only done a couple accidental or experiments with the curlies. I have found they are not winter hardy at all and generally don't seem quite as healthy as the others. If you breed a curly to a smooth I found it would give you 100% frizzles that are very nice, but just like Glenda said all those years ago....curlies just aren't worth it.
    Glenda Heywood The heavily feathered cochin frizzles seen here denote that folks are aware of not getting curlies bred into the flock. Always keep the width of feather in frizzles as it is a very important factor in breeding a good solid line of frizzles. And depth of feathers on breeding birds makes great frizzle offspring. Frizzles with lesser amount of feathers does not make good breeders. Alway use good breed type frizzles to breed from.

Glenda Heywood I agree that curlies are not winter or summer hardy and do not denote good health. That is another factor in their linage as curlies are inferior stock. Thus why waste space and feed on something that needs culling right off. that was always my original thought in disposing of them at hatch or at least when you know they are curlies.

Glenda Heywood Another point as to a good breeder's qualities is this: when a breeder culls something he does not feel is quality for breeding he then shows the public he is aware of good or bad breeding stock. Yes showing birds is what one wants to do but my main thought was always: Am I bettering the quality of breeder stock to sell to the public, to encourage a new breeder in getting the best breeding stock for his or her flock. thus what little money I would get for poor quality breeders was not worth, my integrity as a breeder of quality stock. Thus I culled as soon as I spotted inferior stock. Saving me space and feed money.

The url will show some of Matt Lhamon's excellent breeding stock I appreciated these pictures/
    Go visit the frizzle site if you love frizzles as a breeder or viewer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by