Frizzle Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lemondsm, Sep 15, 2011.

1. lemondsm

lemondsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    My frizzle hen just hatched 4 chicks. She was in a pen with two Silkie roos and a Silkie hen. I know that both hens laid three eggs each. So, we had six eggs total and four hatched. I am wondering if frizzle hens always produce frizzle chicks if the roo wasn't a frizzle. Even if only one of the Silkie hens eggs hatched could the frizzle hen produce a chick that isn't a frizzle.

I am curious if I have any full blooded silkies. Let me know if this isn't clear how I am trying to explain it.

Also, please let me know if I should repost this under "Raising chicks"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    yes a frizzle hen babies don't have to be frizzle even if breed to another frizzle because it is a 50/50 chance of it

3. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    So, it is probably not going to be possible to know which chick or chicks are a full blooded silkie?

4. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    I *think* the crosses won't have silkie feathers? I thought I read that somewhere

5. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    That would certainly make it easier. Hopefully thats the way it is. I guess when I let them lay their eggs together I just thought the firzzles would be frizzles and it would be simple as that. I should have done more homework.

6. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i remember reading something about it saying if you cross a frizzle with a frizzle it wouldn't a pure frizzle! what the. i don't even get it!

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Please do not breed a frizzle to a frizzle. You can get a "curly" or "frazzle" which will have brittle feathers and will always look patchy and will never have full feather. A frizzled hen will produce half and half frizzled and smooth. You could get a silkied frizzle or a frizzled silkie.

8. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    The Roo is a full blooded Silkie and I had a frizzle hen and Silkie hen both lay three eggs each and four hatched. I was just wondering if I could easily tell the full blooded Silkie(s) from the frizzle/Silkie mixes.

9. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    nurse_turtle,

Do you think the frizzled hens chicks that come out smooth would look like a regular full blooded Silkie? Or would it not look frizzle or Silkie? I know there is at least one full blooded Silkie since I know both hens laid three egss each.

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Check the threads here about silkie genetics and which parent determines silkie feathering. I don't know so much about the genetic aspect of silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by