1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle Cochin Bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mentzer6, May 8, 2011.

1. Mentzer6

Mentzer6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    Are these hard to find? I've been going to various feed stores for the past 2 months and think I may have found 2 recently, MAYBE. I have read that you should be able to tell by a week old or so, but I seem to be still guessing at 2 weeks old!

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    [​IMG] they are not hard to find. sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks for you to be able to tell. most breeders breed a fizzle to a smooth bird. 50% of the offspring will be frizzled. if you breed frizzled to frizzled then you will have some birds with very poor feathers, bald . here is one of my frizzle cochns
    [​IMG]

3. Mentzer6

Mentzer6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    We have Polish Frizzle and the breeder could tell right away. Of course, it is around 3-4 weeks old now and there is no question. My cochin bantams however are tricky. Some days I think they are and then the more I stare, the more I can't decide! Loved the picture! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by