Frizzle Cochin Pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nicole01, May 12, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    What do you think? I don't know if he/she is 3.5 or 4.5 weeks old frizzle cochin. The comb is very yellow and the shortest comb I've seen on a chick. This chick is afraid of everything, even afraid of being held. Hopefully if it's a she, it will gain confidence. We named the chick Daisy. Sorry for the quality of the photos. It's best I take them inside the brooder. He/She also has feathering on the breast. Thanks in advance. The EE chick is 2 weeks today in the last photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I love the "Cleopatra" eyeliner at the corner! I don't know enough about the different breeds and their characteristics to be anyone to listen to, but I will say that she looks like my frizzle, save for that line. That said, I have no idea if my Bonnie is a frizzled cochin or not but I think so from what I've learned here. She's white though with black paint. (I think)

3. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Well, I have absolutely no clue what color my chick is. I'm waiting for she/he to feather out. I heard somewhere that if the eyeliner was under the eye, that meant it's female and if the eyeliner is at the middle of eye, it's a male. I have no idea if this is true or not. I do hope this is a she. I picked this chick out of the straight run bin.

4. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    My first thought was roo due to the slow feathering but then that tail is pretty long which means it could still be a pullet. My vote is 60% towards roo, 40% towards pullet. Post another pic in a week please.

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Even a roo feather faster then this.lol Daisy is pretty small for his/her age as well. Daisy is a standard size Cochin. I would lean toward pullet due to the comb size. It's very small and short and the comb does not go beyond what you see in the head feathers.

Anyone else want to guess??? I just want to add that I have heard that Cochins are slow at feathering.

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Bumping up just in case someone else wants to guess. I'm thinking this chick is only 3-3.5 weeks. The tail actually grew more last night and the back feathers are longer. I'm still leaning towards pullet, I hope someone else thinks so too.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    most likely a pullet by comb size, all cochins feather out slow, whether they are males or females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by