1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle Cochin roo - 7 weeks - bantam or standard? pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArizonaDesertChicks, Nov 14, 2009.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I have this cute little frizzle cockerel (crowed this morning at barely 7 weeks of age) that I now need to sell (can't have roosters here). This is my very first cochin and I have no idea whether or not it's a bantam or standard size. It is short, but maybe that's just the breed. All other chicks in the photos below (for size reference) are the same age - about 7 weeks.

On my knee with an EE & LB
    [​IMG]

With 2 easter eggers
    [​IMG]

Next to a buff orpington (the BO is smaller than the EEs)
    [​IMG]

Just looking cute

[​IMG]

2. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    i would guess it's standard. I own a lot of cochins, but never a frizzle. My parents do have a bantam frizzle though and it's about that size now and it's full grown. So, I'm guessing it will be standard size. He's very cute!

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I have only ever known Frizzle Cochins to be bantam. I think yours is bantam. I had a bantam Red Frizzle Cochin hen.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm going to say bantam. There are standard frizzles- but from my experience with cochins- the banty roos crow much earlier. I have some LF that are 6 months and are just starting!
    Where are you located? I'd take the little guy in a second! How cute.

Ah pooey- just saw you're out west [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Okay - 1 vote for standard - 2 for banty

What about the fact that he is smaller than the EEs (mostly shorter, rather than smaller), but bigger than the BO of the same age? - Has anybody ever raised cochins with other chicks? How did they measure up sizewise when they were only 6-8 weeks of age?

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Here are some pics of my 1 year old Red Cochin Frizzle Omelet (deceased with 6 month old BRs that are standard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Comparing him to the others the same age, especially that BO, he most likely is standard. Remember frizzle isn't a breed but a gene that carries through. Any breed can frizzle, as I have seen first hand at a friends house where they got some from a university's experimental crossings.

8. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Speaking of keeping Roos, I have a frizzle cochin Roo that only crows at 4-6 A.M. Quiet all day unless a fast storm moves in. I keep him Cooped till 9 am or so, and neighbors were suprised I had a roo. Maybe you can keep him. I vote standard.

9. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    those look like bantams:jumpy [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Ohhh, he is adorable. Of course, I am partial, as he looks like mine..
    Anyway, here is mine at approx 7 weeks old. He is a bantam. He is surrounded by bantams- except for the big ones in the back which is a standard Cukoo Maran.

[​IMG]

Here they are all roaming around. Harder to tell size, but you can see the difference. Barney isn't much bigger than the silkie- even though the picture makes him look bigger

[​IMG]

Based on that, I think your's is standard. But then again, I don't know how EE's compare to marans. Maybe my marans were just godzillamarans.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by