Frizzle cochin Roo Breeding Question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hobbley_Farm, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I was lucky enough to find a free Frizzle Cochin roo yesterday. They said he was only a standard but I don't know. I have to email the couple who I got him from and ask again. I thought they said he was 9 mos...he's not very big for nine months.

Here is my question...
    in order to make frizzle chicks, do i have to find a female frizzle or can I breed him with a regular (non frizz) hen to produce the frizzle feathers. I know that not ALL of them will turn out frizzled...but I just don't know if both parents have to be frizzles.

I was told he is show quality and was bought at a show. To be honest I couldn't tell you what's show quality or not show quality...I just see a chicken and decide if I think it looks nice or not. I have 0 experience with frizzles. But he is pretty [​IMG]

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:You don't want to breed frizzle to frizzle, you will get very sparse brittle feathers. You want a nice fluffy butt to breed to your frizzle roo. you will get a percentage of frizzle and smoothe.

Of course we need pictures LOL ! [​IMG]

3. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    oh fantastic! My neighbor really wants frizzles. She traded for my three WCpolish. Could we breed this frizzle to a polish to get some frizzled polish? Or will she need to find a banty cochin?

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I really don't think he is a standard size cochin. If he is 9 months and still pretty small he is a bantam. I could not find a standard size frizzle when I went looking. I ended up ordering 30 frizzle cochins from Ideal. Some are so pretty and frizzled some almost curly.

I am going to have to find a great quality bantam to breed with my frizzles.

Oh, yeah, where are the pictures? lol:

5. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    the pictures??? Well...I suck, that's where the pictures are. My camera is complicated as far as getting the pictures to my pc. And my phone is just as much a pain. I am doing so much stuff over the pc I really need to get a decent EASY digital camera...But I'm affraid I'll get the wrong one. I thought the camera that we got was meant to do all this stuff and I can't get it to do diddly sqat. My phone is alright as long as everyone is STILL. I have all sorts of things I want to take pictures of to upload...just cant right now.

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Oh, I see, you um,..........you are challenged in this area also. I have to get a 15 yr old to fix my son's mp3 thingy majig!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    Kodak Easyshare (with a share dock) is great to transfer pics to the PC..push 1 button & U got your pics!

8. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I had one of those old digital cameras that I just loved! Took the diskette? You just popped the diskette in the pc and in 2 seconds you had your photos. It just quit one day. I HATE to have to get all the cords, pull up the programs, wait for them to load...blah blah blah. I just want to snap my fingers and have the pics on the pc. Like the good ole days lol 8 years ago...lol

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I would say you can breed your frizzle to the polish. I have seen frizzles in a lot of stuff. Try it......Columbus did and look where we are now! [​IMG]

10. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

I don't get the columbus line. I guess I'm a little slow today [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by