Frizzle Cochin Rooster injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilchik, Mar 18, 2012.

1. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    My Frizzle Cochin rooster was injured. It appears he got into a fight with another rooster and had bloody comb and wattles. I found him hiding behind a nesting box. I cleaned up the wounds as best I could and applied antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) and placed him in a pen by himself to heal. I never had roosters fight like that and injure each other. They spar a little but then stop. Thinking it may have been over a hen.
    Should I give him any antibiotics orally or by injection?
    He looks a little better today and is acting more normal. But I'm still worried.
    I am trying to insert a picture but it keeps saying a temporary error occurred , please retry. Tried both from computer and url. Will attempt to add a picture later.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions.

2. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    [​IMG]

His comb and wattles were bloody. He seem lethargic when I found him yesterday, could have just been really scared. Today he seems almost back to normal and looks better. Just worried that I should give him antibiotics, but don't like to medicate unless really needed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

They heal really quickly, I don't think he needs any antibiotics, combs and wattles normally heal with out infection. Blue kote is good stuff. He was probably in a bit of shock the first day. Just keep him seperated till he heals up, he should be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by