1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FRIZZLE dizzle DIZZY! what breed?? & breeding questions! iknowiknow...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BigIslandChicks, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i picked up this white Frizzle hen last week and want to know what breed she is?? she is a bantam. about 9 mo. to a year old, laying eggs just not for me yet. the lady i got her from found her on the side of the road when she was a chick and said she only had a few feathers. she looks great now and i just love her! she is so sweet. she lets me hold her and tolerated the kids petting her.

I know i know this has been explained and i looked at all the threads about it and im still confused a bit with the frizzle silkie breeding and frizzle breeding whatever so...
    also another question as i am SO confused on the whole frizzle dizzle breeding deal i cant quite figure it out! [​IMG] [​IMG] so here is a picture of lil' mamas boyfriend Homeboy.(the lady i got this pair from, her teenagers named them. she was to funny about it she said they listen to rap and named the frizzle and silkie! [​IMG] ) he is a black silkie. what will i get if i can get some fertilized eggs out of these 2. i want more frizzles. should i get her a cochin bantam roo to get frizzle dizzles?? i am not sure exactly the difference in the sizzle dizzles and frizzled sizzles dizzle dizzy!! [​IMG] i get that if you breed a frizzle to a smooth feather you will get only 50% frizzle but the whole sizzle thing im a mess! lol i am curious to what the chicks would be with these 2?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edited to add more pics [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The frizzle is, like most frizzles out there, a Cochin. Your "Silkie" technically is not a Silkie though. . . He's not even silkie feathered.

Offspring from those two will indeed create "Sizzles," whereas 50% of them will be frizzled, 50% will look like your "Silkie" - normal feathering but a Silkie body.

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:thank you Illia - i figured she was a cochin.

well i have never had a silkie before and the lady said he was... well if he is not a silkie what the heck is he???? [​IMG] i dont really care he is super cute! if you need some more pics of him i have... thanks for any info!!!

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Sizzles are ADORABLE [​IMG] !!!! I just sold my flock off not long ago, I got them to where I wanted them and I guess I felt like it was time for someone else to enjoy them.

The smooth feathered Sizzles are my favorite and were quite popular with visitors [​IMG]
    The silk feathered Sizzles just look like regular Silkies.
    The Frizzled Sizzles are just too cute for their own good!! I only had 2 of them that I kept to adulthood, but they never had the big crests like the silkie because I had to outcross for them(their daddy was a frizzle cochin so no crest). They really just looked like Frizzles with dark skin and usually single combs.

You might get some strange colorations because they are such different colors & Their babies will have little to no crest because momma has no crest. My Sizzles were some of the sweetest chickens I ever had though and my best broodies, most of them even laid eggs daily.

ETA: I started off with a couple Sizzle pullets that a show breeder was giving away, her silkies & frizzles had Winter fling and they were the undesireable result. I didn't start from "scratch" like you're talking about, I guess I got lucky.... I still think they'll make cute chicks [​IMG]

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:thank you Illia - i figured she was a cochin.

well i have never had a silkie before and the lady said he was... well if he is not a silkie what the heck is he???? [​IMG] i dont really care he is super cute! if you need some more pics of him i have... thanks for any info!!!

Actually he IS a Silkie, he just has more hard feathers than he should. You should get some pretty cute babies breeding them together! Please keep us udated.

ETA:The more I look at him, the more I think he is actually a pretty nice looking Silkie. His wattles are a little too large, even for a non-bearded Silkie, and he does have too many hard feathers in his tail, but he should be great to breed with Lil Momma!

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Your frizzle cochin and silkie rooster are very pretty! Don't worry, your rooster DOES have the silkie feathers! Don't know why someone would suggest that he doesn't, lol. Maybe they misread the question. The first generation babies will contain some frizzles and some smooth feathered birds. The babies will most likely have 5 toes, a crest and darker skin from dad. If you take the frizzle females from this generation and breed them back to the father or another silkie you should get some silkie feathered babies, some of who may end up silkie feathered AND frizzled!

7. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Quote:just confused, I see Silkie feathering, what am I missing? Maybe you just mean he's not a great example of a silkie because of the hard feathering?
    Really a cute pair of birds!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
  8. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:just confused, I see Silkie feathering, what am I missing? Maybe you just mean he's not a great example of a silkie because of the hard feathering?
    Really a cute pair of birds!

Agreed? 0.o I see a silkie. Not a good quality silkie, but still, a silkie...

9. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I love frizzle your is nice. I don't think you will get 50% frizzles, maybe 30%, and no silkie the 1 year if you breed the pullets back to a silkie you may get silkies. I think that you will like all the colors that you get from this breeding....Frizzle are fun. You don't want to breed 2 frizzle together you can get frizzle/frizzle or naked chickens..

10. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Nice birds, you will not get any Silkie feathered birds in the first generation. Silkie feathers require two recessive genes (one from each parent). Your Frizzled Cochin hen will not be carrying that gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by