1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle Feather Fragility?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tellynpeep, Apr 3, 2009.

1. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    My Frizzle Cochin Roo has finally feathered-out and is one handsome fellow (well, some of the girls still laugh at him, but I think he's cute...)
    My question is: His primaries seem to break very easily, and instead of feathers there he has a bunch of stiff broken quills. Is this common, and is there anything I can do to prevent it? Is this indicative of a homozygous bird (the rest of his feathers are beautiful..)?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    post a pic when he's in full feather.

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My Sizzle has stiff quills on the wings also. He's still young (9 weeks) but I'm pretty sure it's a little roo because of his comb and wattles. His back and neck have soft frizzle/sizzle feathers, but the wings are very scratchy quills. There is a possibility that mine is double-dosed...the person I bought him from said there are frizzle roos, frizzle hens, and smooth feathers all together in the same pen...and apparently Silkies too because mine has black skin and a very Silkie-looking face.

Post a pic so we can see!!!

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Here are some pics; what do you all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of his primaries. You can see how they are all broken off.
    [​IMG]

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    The reason why they break like that is cause he is likely the result of a frizzle mixed with another frizzle. You need a straight feathered bird with the frizzle gene, to cross with a frizzle to get healthy feathers. Double frizzle genes will get you birds that loose feathers very easily like your's has.

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    he's not a double dose... just normal breaks, but they do look more pronounced in frizzle as the shafts are curling out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by