1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle Gender??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BUG126, Jun 28, 2008.

1. BUG126

BUG126 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    My daughter has 5 white cochin "frizzles". 2 are none frizzled, 1 is really nasty looking maybe over frizzled?? and 2 look like this [​IMG]
    Are these roosters? The others dont have combs or wattles like these 2. My husband says he heard something crowing in the coop this morning, but we have a total of 32 chickens...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    I'm no expert but it definitely looks like a roo with those red wattles and comb.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    How old are they? I would have to say roo.

4. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    They are 12 weeks. The pic I posted was from a few weeks ago. I was afraid they might be roos. my daughter will be terribly upset to get rid of them, but my hubby wont keep roosters.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    That's too bad [​IMG] Yup, I'd say that is a roo [​IMG] But then again... I can't bring myself to admit that one of mine is a roo...soooo... [​IMG] LOL

6. Chickaree

Chickaree Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    Looks like my little frizzle roo Mr. Darcy. How come you can't keep one? Our roo is the easiest to handle. Maybe because we handled him alot from the start and then when we thought he was a roo we handled him twice as much.

[​IMG]

7. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    This is our first chicken adventure, but I think he had a bad "rooster experience" as a child, his mom had a RIR and from the stories I hear he was VICIOUS. I think he will give one to my boss' father, he has a pretty interesting "breeding program", some crazy looking chickens are running around that place! [​IMG]

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Aaaww... maybe it is time to give the roo thing another try! [​IMG] My Frizzled roos are real dolls [​IMG]

9. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Quote:How would that work, would I have to keep him seperate from the other frizzles so not to get over frizzling? We have 15 total, 10 red and 5 white (2 of which are roos?). We also have 17 others of various breeds, none are frizzles though.

10. Chickaree

Chickaree Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    This is my first chicken experience too. I wouldn't give my little roo away. The kid's love him and he doesn't mind being carried around at all. I've noticed there are alot of little banty roos as pets. I'm not trying to talk you in to anything though. I think there is only an issue if you plan to breed frizzles. You wouldn't want a frizzle X frizzle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by