1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle Gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chichi56788, Sep 21, 2010.

1. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I have a "non frizzled" frizzle chicken. If I breed her with my male silkie will I get sizzles?

2. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Quote:Hi I have bred frizzles and sizzles a little. First of all you know that you are only supposed to breed straight feathered to frizzled right? Even then the babies have a 50/50 chance of being frizzle. So the way I see it, if you then breed a straight-feathered frizzle to something then you may get a 25% chance of frizzles. Then you are asking about sizzles. It depends on if you are just calling any frizzle related to a silky a "sizzle" or if you truly want the silky feathers on a frizzle. I still haven't gotten one of those! And my roo is a silky. So you may or may not, but it will be fun to try! I hope I haven't discouraged you with all these statistics![​IMG]

3. chichi56788

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I am actually doing a project on chicken genetics and am trying to breed chickens with frizzled feathers for that. I think it will be an interesting experiment, as my goal is to get sizzles that have silkie feathers that are curled. Thanks so much for your help! [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Hi I have bred frizzles and sizzles a little. First of all you know that you are only supposed to breed straight feathered to frizzled right? Even then the babies have a 50/50 chance of being frizzle. So the way I see it, if you then breed a straight-feathered frizzle to something then you may get a 25% chance of frizzles. Then you are asking about sizzles. It depends on if you are just calling any frizzle related to a silky a "sizzle" or if you truly want the silky feathers on a frizzle. I still haven't gotten one of those! And my roo is a silky. So you may or may not, but it will be fun to try! I hope I haven't discouraged you with all these statistics![​IMG]

No; for frizzle feathering, if it is not there, you do not have the frizzle gene. It can be slightly more involved that that, but that is the general rule. With silkies, bred to a non-silkied bird and you should have all non-silkied offspring. Next generation you may get silkie feathering back, depending on whom is bred to whom.

Ideally a sizzle should have one copy of the frizzle gene and no copied of the silkie gene. That will take a couple of generations.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:That would be a frizzled silkie, not a sizzle.

6. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Quote:Please let us know how it goes! [​IMG]

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    So Nzpouter,
    How did you get that beautiful bird?? We all want to know! [​IMG]

9. chichi56788

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I think I am just going to cut the whole frizzle-sizzle thing out. But I am going to still breed the parents to see what I get and put that in my project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by