Frizzle Genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Scifisarah, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I hatched 6 chicks from a frizzle bantam cochin rooster with all smooth bantam cochin hens. Am I correct that an average of 50% of these chicks should be frizzle? They are about a week old today and look all the same. At what age can you tell if a chick is smooth or frizzled? Would love photos of 1-3 week old frizzles if anyone has any...

2. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Sorry, don't have pics but, I ordered 2 hatchery frizzles a year ago (both gone now, poor things) and I could tell one of them (Frizzle Chick, that was his name, not very original I know but, it sort of stuck!) I could tell was a frizzle at 2 weeks old. Good luck with your chicks!!!

3. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Does anyone know if about half of them should be frizzled?

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Yes half SHOULD be frizzled. But, chickens don't understand math. If the sperm carrying the smooth gene out swam the frizzled then you get more smooth or vice versa. You should be able to tell at two Weeks.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    In addition to the above explanation, not all chickens with the frizzle gene express it. Some birds, if they have one copy, will appear smooth feathered, but carry the gene. It is not one of those clear yes or no's, there are other genes involved as well.

If you bred a frizzle with one gene (the desired genetic makeup) with a smooth hen, then technically you would expect 50% of the offspring carrying the frizzle gene. This is only an average though, and may actually be anywhere from 0 to 100%. Then there is the fact that a bird with a single frizzle gene may still be smooth. I would watch them a little longer, if you have any that will appear frizzle you should know soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by