Frizzle help! Hen or roo? *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kikster, Oct 26, 2009.

1. kikster

kikster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    After my big disappointment of being given a "buff orpington pullet" who turned out to be an EE roo, we're getting worried about this little one that we were also told was a she, but is now acting similar to how our roo was acting. Territorial, making these throaty sounds all the time, and always running like crazy if you even look like you're about to come near. Are these characteristics of all chicks as they reach maturity regardless of gender, or should we be worried? As with all the chick we where given, we were only given a "round about" age of 3-5 months (which, from what we learned about our EE roo, could've been false). This one we assumed was closer to 3 when we got her/him, because she was so tiny, but it may have been younger than that, we've had "her" since Aug 6, so next week will be 3 mos.

Sooo, that being said, "she" could be anywhere from 3-6 mos (still, lol). Her mom is a banty cochin.

Here she is the day we got her (8/6), w/her mom (supposedly 3-5 mos)
    [​IMG]

A month later (9/2):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another month later (10/2):
    [​IMG]

And now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    i say she is a she

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I am going to agree...a pullet [​IMG]

My 1 month old Cochin has more comb and wattles than that already.

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Looks like a she to me too

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    You Lucky Duck Its A She For Sure!!!

6. kikster

Jul 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

I hoped so! [​IMG] She was just scaring me w/ all those noises shes been making. Her mom is pretty quiet, so I didn't know what to think!

[​IMG]

7. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Is that a chocolate Bantam Cochin I see? What country do you live in?

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Looks like a pullet to me! [​IMG]

9. kikster

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm in the US (VA). I'm not sure what she is to be honest, she was given to us w/no info. I just know she's the most beautiful thing (to me of course), and she's my absolute fave! She's such a sweet heart!

OFF TOPIC: Saturday morning I was looking out of the window at the girls (their pen is directly beneath the window), and she hopped up on the roost, onto the roof of the henhouse to get closer to me lol (she was only about 12 inches away at that point!) I thought she was gonna jump in the window, she had that look on her face like she was trying to figure out how to get even closer! Thing was, my hubby was inside the pen the whole time, so he was cracking up, like "momma's girl" [​IMG] ... It was the cutest thing!

10. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    hey i sent you a pm if you didnt get it let me know and ill sen it again lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by